MA Israeli Studies
Duration: The MA is taken full-time over one year or part-time over two or three years.
Minimum Entry Requirements: The usual qualification for entry is a good first degree in a relevant field. However, the School is keen to offer the course to those with a real passion for the subject, who wish to develop a strong interest within an academic framework.
Start of programme: September intake only
Mode of Attendance: Full Time or Part Time
The MA Israeli Studies is an interdisciplinary degree which explores the history, culture, politics, language, and music of Israel. The programme is based on a modular system, so the subjects covered can be as diverse as the political thought of Vladimir Jabotinsky, Christian Zionism, the poetry of Yehuda Amichai, the rise of Palestinian nationalism, the struggle of Soviet Jews for emigration, the writings of Mendele Moykher-Sforim, the music of the Hasidim, Palestinian Islamism, the teachings of the Rambam and the Ramban.
Students take 180 credits, 60 of which are a dissertation and a 120 from taught modules.
Of the taught modules, 30 credits are selected as a major from List A, 30 further credits are taken as the minor from List A, 30 credits in the minor from List A or B, and 30 credits from the approved open options list.
Students must take the Dissertation below.
- Dissertation in the Languages and Cultures of the Near and Middle East 15PNMC999 (60 credits) Full Year
Students must take 30 credits from List A as their major
Minor (List A)
Students must take 30 credits from List A as their minor.
Minor (List A or List B)
Students may take a further 60 credits from List A or List B for their minor, OR 30 credits from List A or List B AND 30 credits in an approved open option.
- Zionist Ideology 15PNMC035 (30 credits) Full Year Not Running 2017/2018
- Israel and the Palestinians 15PNMC038 (30 credits) Full Year
- Jerusalem: Life in a Contested Place 15PNMH008 (15credits) Term 1
- Critical Perspectives on Palestine Studies I: History and Politics 15PNMH006 (15credits) Term 1
- Critical Perspectives on Palestine Studies II: Culture and Society 15PNMH007 (15credits) Term 2
- Religion, Nationhood and Ethnicity in Judaism 15PSRH030 (15credits) Term 2 Not Running 2017/2018
- The Holocaust in Theology, Literature, and Art 15PSRH028 (15credits) Term 1
- Family, Work and Leisure in Ancient Judaism 15PSRH027 (15credits) Term 1 Not Running 2017/2018
- Judaism and Gender 15PSRH029 (15credits) Term 2 Not Running 2017/2018
- Elementary Hebrew (PG) 15PNMC392 (30 credits) Full Year
- Intermediate Hebrew (PG) 15PNMC393 (30 credits) Full Year
- Advanced Hebrew (PG) 15PNMC394 (30 credits) Full Year
- African and Asian Diasporas in the Contemporary World 15PANC012 (30 credits) Full Year
- Social and Political Dimensions of Modern Arabic Literature 15PNMC347 (30 credits) Full Year
- Modern Palestinian Literature (PG) 15PNMC379 (30 credits) Full Year
Program taught in: