MA Islamic Studies
Duration: One calendar year (full-time), or two or three years (part-time, daytime only)
Minimum Entry Requirements: Upper second class honours BA (or equivalent) in Arabic. An upper second class honours BA / BSc degree in any other subject is an acceptable qualification providing it is accompanied by the required level of Arabic language: students should be able to read and understand original Classical Arabic texts, such as Qur'an, Hadith, Tafsir, Sirah, Fiqh.
Start of programme: September intake only
The MA offers the students the opportunity to concentrate on the Qur'an, the Hadith and other Islamic texts, and so provides a unique training in the translation of Islamic religious material. The degree is designed to benefit academics, teachers of Islam in other institutions, translators of Islamic material into English in research centres, government departments and da'wa centres. It provides excellent research training and is a useful qualification for those who wish to progress to higher postgraduate degrees.
Students take 180 credits, 60 of which are a dissertation and a 120 from taught modules. From the taught modules, 60 credits are selected as a major from List A, a further 60 credits are selected as the minor from List A or List B or 30 credits from List A or List B and 30 credits of an approved open option.
- Dissertation in the Languages and Cultures of the Near and Middle East 15PNMC999 (60 credits) Full Year
- Early and Medieval Arabic Linguistic Thought: Scholarship and Literature 15PNMC410 (30 credits) Full Year Not Running 2017/2018
- Qur'an and Hadith Studies 15PNMC006 (30 credits) Full Year
- The Qur'an: Language, Style and Translation in English 15PNMC142 (30 credits) Full Year
- Islamic Legal Texts in Arabic 15PNMC037 (30 credits) Full Year Not Running 2017/2018
- Islamic Texts 15PNMC144 (30 credits) Full Year
- Translation of Islamic Texts (a project) 15PNMC145 (30 credits) Full Year
- Sufism 15PNMC036 (30 credits) Full Year Not Running 2017/2018
- Early and Classical Qur'anic Exegesis: Literature and Thought 15PNMC423 (30 credits) Full Year Not Running 2017/2018
- Medieval Arabic Thought: the Philosophical and Theological Traditions 15PNMC388 (30 credits) Full Year
- Modern Trends in Islam 15PNMC228 (30 credits) Full Year
- Islamic Law (MA/LLM) 15PLAC121 (30 credits) Full Year
- Art and Architecture of the Fatimids 15PARH035 (15credits) Term 2 Not Running 2017/2018
- Islam and the West: Artistic and Cultural Contacts 15PARH034 (15credits) Term 2
- Christians and Muslims in Syriac Texts 15PSRC175 (30 credits) Full Year
This school offers programs in:
Last updated May 7, 2018