The documentary film is regaining a vanguard in the international film scene after decades of being relegated to the background. In recent years we are witnessing an explosion of the genre from the proliferation of productions based on renewed aesthetic proposals. Spain and especially Barcelona are witnessing the phenomenon of documentary expansive new permanent exhibition halls, multiplicity of festivals and open to various television media exhibition. The ability of the documentary to reveal the complexity of reality, complementing outside view with insight and develop models with the TV disruptive mass, enable not only share glances and thoughts about the world we inhabit but also experiment with different expressive forms. The documentary film brings us closer to a more creative and multifaceted way of perceiving reality and reveals a world of interrelationships that connects audiences with social and individual problems of our times.
The Master is developed since 2004 in a favorable for the production of documentary films context and is aimed at the realization of works of authorship as a final project of the master.
To whom it is addressed
The Master is aimed at graduates and graduates in grade and all students and people interested in documentary film production that have a previous academic training or professional experience in the fields of communication, audiovisual, performing arts, sociology, anthropology or social sciences as a whole.
Aim of the course
The goal is to train filmmakers and professionals in the audiovisual industry, through theory and practice, discover their own responsibility within the framework of the creation of a documentary film work. The Master aims to promote the creativity of students taking advantage of learning the basic tools of documentary film to accompany the student in building a personal and unique view of reality.
The methodology used in the master is eminently practical. Already from the second quarter students experience what the craft of creating documentaries and the various disciplines that comprise it. The teacher assists students -before, during and after the production- on fundamental for the creation of group project (sound, photography, performance, installation) areas. Creating practical exercises used to observe the evolution of the student in all subjects. Conducting individual and group short film from the first year quantifies the level acquired in each academic year.
Small groups of 20 students
Masters capacity is limited to 20 seats, allowing personalized attention at the time of tutelage of the final projects.
In the last quarter, students perform and produce a documentary divided into groups. Projects are selected in a presentation ( "pitching") in which the functions and roles that each student must practice in the production, processing; director, cinematographer, editor, producer, sound designer ... The small number of students allows personalized attention when the tutelage of the final projects. The selected projects will be produced by 2mentes films.
10 reasons to study the masters in documentary
- By aim to discover the personal look as documentarian of each participant without forgetting the industrial framework in which his work develops.
- For his 17 years of experience forming documentarians whose work is present in televisions and festivals around the world.
- For the structural advantages provided part of the training offered ECIB, with ease of access to resources and spaces, provision of materials and equipment; and taking advantage of synergies with other areas related to filmmaking, animation, photography, editing, sound and VFX.
- For its practical methodology that immerses the participant in the actual process of realization and documentary production with the development of practical exercises and the creation of a project at the end of the academic year.
- Being taught by working professionals the documentary film industry as Bettina Walter, Albert Albacete, or Pere Oriol Porta Alberó.
- By making available to the student a court in the "pitching" (oral presentation of the project to televisions and "decision-makers") formed by top professionals; a purchasing manager of a national television, a director of a renowned documentary film festival and an executive producer, which gives students a real insight into the market in the process of selecting projects
- By accepting a small group of 20 students, which guarantees individual monitoring and proactive interaction between student and teacher.
- By having the 2mentes producing films to produce documentaries selected in the pitching and distribute national and international festivals. Enhance the visibility of the documentary is the main objective of 2mentes Films.
- By offering the opportunity to learn the ins and outs of some of the most important film markets in Europe, the Sheffield Doc Fest.
- By having a university degree 60 ECTS credits covered by the University of VIC.
MODULE 1: Theory: Genres, aesthetics and history of the documentary.
- A / History and documentary genres.
- B / Forms and trends of the documentary.
- C / seminars and masterclasses with various documentarians
MODULE 2: Construction Tools documentary
- D / Playwright and screenplay
- E / Production and direction
- F / Picture, Sound and assembly
MODULE 3: Making documentaries. tutorials
Pitching with professionals from the film industry and television
To provide students master a vision of their projects according to the industry, the court of "pitching" will consist of a programmer festival, a producer of documentaries and the purchasing manager of a national television, plus teachers realization, screenwriting and production of master and executive producer of films 2mentes.
Seminars, masterclasses and other activities
Students of the Master in documentary have free access to the various seminars and masterclasses taking place throughout the course. In recent years we have had visits: Agusti Villaronga, Fernando Leon de Aranoa, José Luis Guerin, Matías Piñeiro, Victor Erice, Andrés Duque, Nicolas Philibert, Mauro Herce, Albert Serra and Eugène Green.
They can access the master graduates students in other film schools, graduates in careers related to audiovisual media, humanities, arts, etc. They can also access those accrediting prior experience in audiovisual media arts, must be sent by e-mail:
- Motivation letter
- Curriculum vitae
- A link portfolio or reel of previous work. (Vimeo, youtube, wetransfer ...)
- Photocopy of the degree or certificate studies
The result of deliberation shall be communicated by e-mail
- Credits: 60 ECTS
- Edition: 15a
- Admission: pretest
- Language: Castilian
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 23, 2017