- Ancient History
- Archival Studies
- Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence
- Colonial and Global History
- Europaeum Programme European History and Civilisation: Leiden-Oxford-Paris Programme
- Europe 1000-1800
- Political Culture and National Identities
The Leiden University Institute for History has a broad and wide-reaching academic scope. The Master’s Programme in History is an accurate reflection of this academic range and offers you the chance to obtain a degree based on your own particular interests and ambitions. To enable you to pursue your own interests as much as possible, the various specialisations have a thematic focus. Within these specialisations there are also possibilities to concentrate on Maritime History, Political Debate or Economic History.
Its strong international orientation and focus on the study of European and non-European history in a global context gives the Leiden MA in History a unique character in the Netherlands. The wide range of chairs in history which include most European and non-European areas, combined with the unique archive material available in Leiden University and in nearby The Hague facilitates a study of nearly all areas of the world.
4 reasons to choose History at Leiden
- The Leiden University History department has a very committed teaching staff. Students consistently give the highest grades to their lecturers and professors in their course evaluations, Moreover, MA courses are given in small groups, enabling personal attention to the individual student.
- The Leiden History department has a broad and well balanced range of chairs. Adjacent departments in the Faculty of Humanities have chairs in Latin American, African, Turkish, Indonesian, Indian, Korean, Chinese and Japanese History, enabling students to study Dutch, European and non-European history in a global context.
- Leiden University is close to The Hague, not only the seat of the national library and the national archives, but also the centre of government, politics and international organisations. Leiden University probably offers the best opportunity to explore this world, study it, find trainee posts and eventually jobs. Even in our age of internet and globalisation, real distances still matter.
- Leiden University has a long tradition in the history of European expansion. Today, this tradition is still flourishing but in a new form, as the history of globalisation and migration, while still maintaining Leiden’s old expertise in the history of Asia and making use of the unique archives in Leiden and The Hague.
EU/EEA, Dutch, Swiss or Surinamese: around €1,984.
Other: around €16,400.
If you would like to know more, perhaps regarding our specialisations, please get in touch or visit the programme introduction page on our website: http://en.mastersinleiden.nl/programmes/history/en/introduction.
Among the subjects you will be taking with this programme, you may find the following:
- Current Debates in Medieval and Early Modern History I
- Debating the Ancient Economy
- The Muslim World as the Crossroads of Asia, Africa and Europe
- Understanding the Archives
- Essential Readings in Economic History
- Migration and Integration
This school offers programs in:
Last updated May 31, 2017