MA Gender Studies
Duration: One calendar year (full-time). Two or three years (part-time, daytime only).
Minimum Entry Requirements: Minimum upper second class (2.1) or above honours degree (or equivalent)
Start of programme: September intake only
Mode of Attendance: Full Time or Part Time
SOAS MA in Gender Studies is unique in that it refocuses issues of Western Gender Studies on the complex specificities of Asia, Africa and the Middle East. Drawing on the expertise of staff across all SOAS faculties, it offers the specialised study of gender in relation to Asian, African and Middle Eastern cultures, together with rigorous training in and questioning of contemporary gender theory.
Students will have access to a wealth of study resources available in the SOAS Library and in nearby institutions such as the British Library, University College London Library and Senate House Library.
The MA in Gender Studies will be administered by the Faculty of Law and Social Sciences. Like the MA Area Studies programmes, it will not have a specific departmental home, reflecting its academic structure as an interdisciplinary degree.
The SOAS MA in Gender Studies will appeal to students with a variety of backgrounds and objectives:
- those coming from Women's Studies or Gender Studies who wish to engage more deeply with gender theory in relation to regional specialisation, especially, but not exclusively, the societies of Asia, Africa and the Middle East;
- those coming from Asian, African or Middle Eastern Studies who wish to incorporate the study of gender into their own areas of expertise; and
- those having previously trained in particular disciplines, such as Anthropology, Cultural and Media Studies, Religious Studies, Comparative Literature, History, Politics, etc.
By selection of courses to suit the academic needs of each student, this programme can provide:
- Specialised research training MA in Gender Studies, perhaps including a relevant language. This pathway is suitable for students contemplating advanced postgraduate research in Gender Studies with regard to regional specialisation.
- A broad MA programme for students with some background in Women's Studies, Gender Studies, and Area Studies etc. who wish to enhance their knowledge of gender in relation to cross-cultural issues, with or without language study.
- A special interest MA, which enables students to study in depth gender issues in relation to a particular regional or disciplinary specialisation.
Students must take 180 credits comprised of 120 taught credits (including core and option modules) and a 60 credit dissertation
The programme consists of five units in total: four units of taught courses and a 10,000-word dissertation.
All students take the compulsory course Gender Theory and the Study of Asia, Africa, and the Middle East, in addition to Dissertation Methods in Gender Studies. Further options include a wide range of gender and gender-related courses from a comprehensive list offered by the Faculties of Languages and Cultures and Arts and Humanities. Students will write a 10,000-word dissertation based on either the compulsory course or one of the component courses.
- Gender theory and the study of Asia, Africa and the Middle East 15PGNC002 (30credits) Full Year
- Dissertation in gender studies 15PGNC999 (60credits) Full Year
- Dissertation Methods for Gender Studies 15PGNH008 (15 credits) Term 1
List 1- Optional Course
At least one unit (one or two courses) must be chosen from this list.
- Gender in the Middle East 15PGNH001 (15 credits) Term 1
- Gender and Sexuality in the Middle East 15PGNH012 (15 credits) Term 2 - Gender in the Middle East (15PGNH001) is a pre-requisite for this course.
- Queer Politics in Asia, Africa and the Middle East 15PGNH007 (15 credits) Term 2
- Gendering Migration & Diasporas 15PGNH002 (15 credits) Term 2
- Gender and Development 15PDSH010 (15 credits) Term 1
- Issues in the Anthropology of Gender 15PANH024 (15 credits) Term 2
- Gender, Sexuality and Law: Theories and Methodologies 15PLAH062 (15 credits) Term 1
- Gender, Sexuality and Law: Selected Topics 15PLAH061 (15 credits) Term 2
- Gender, Armed Conflict and International Law 15PGNH005 (15 credits) Term 1
- Queer and Feminist Diaspora Studies 15PGNH011 (15 credits) Full Year - Term 1
- Historical Perspectives on Gender in Africa 15PHIH029 (15 credits) Term 1
- Gender and Music (MMus) 15PMUH009 (15 credits) Term 2
- Judaism and Gender 15PSRH029 (15 credits) Term 2 Not Running 2017/2018
- Genders and Sexualities in South East Asian Film 15PSEH011 (15 credits) Term 2
- Arabic Women's Writing: Theories and Practices 15PNMC411 (30credits) Full Year Not Running 2017/2018
- Architectural Boundaries and the Body 15PARH063 (15 credits) Term 1
- The Body and the Making of Colonial Difference in British India 15PHIH033 (15 credits) Term 2 Not Running 2017/2018
- Ethnicity, Religion and Gender in Middle Eastern Musical cultures 15PMUH024 (15 credits) Term 1 Not Running 2017/2018
UCL Optional Course
The course unit offered this year at UCL is Gender Policy and Planning (Development and Planning Unit, terms 1&2, 0.5units).
List 2- Optional Course
Remaining units must be taken from this list.
- Civil society, social movements and the development process 15PDSH001 (15 credits) Term 1
- Comparative politics of the Middle East 15PPOC026 (30credits) Full Year
- African and Asian Diasporas in the Contemporary World 15PANC012 (30credits) Full Year
- Law and Society in The Middle East and North Africa 15PLAC130 (30credits) Full Year
- African and Asian Diasporas in the Modern World 15PANH010 (15 credits) Term 1
- African and Asian Cultures in Britain 15PANH009 (15 credits) Term 2
- Critical Perspectives on Palestine Studies I: History and Politics 15PNMH006 (15 credits) Term 1
- Critical Perspectives on Palestine Studies II: Culture and Society 15PNMH007 (15 credits) Term 2
- Culture and Society of China 15PANH062 (15 credits) Term 2
- Culture and Society of East Africa 15PANH063 (15 credits) Term 1
- Culture and Society of Japan 15PANH065 (15 credits) Term 1
- Culture and Society of Near and the Middle East 15PANH067 (15 credits) Term 2
- Culture and Society of South Asia 15PANH064 (15 credits) Term 1
- Culture and Society of South East Asia 15PANH066 (15 credits) Term 2
- Culture and Society of West Africa 15PANH068 (15 credits) Term 2
- Indonesia on Screen(PG) 15PSEH015 (15 credits) Term 1 Not Running 2017/2018
- Law and Society in South Asia 15PLAC129 (30credits) Full Year
- Law, Human Rights and Peace Building: The Israeli-Palestinian Case 15PLAC133 (30credits) Full Year
- Modern Trends in Islam 15PNMC228 (30credits) Full Year
- Travelling Africa: Writing the Cape to Cairo 15PAFC139 (30credits) Full Year Not Running 2017/2018
- Cinema, Nation and the Transcultural 15PJKC023 (30credits) Full Year
- Indian Cinema: Key Issues 15PSAH002 (15 credits) Term 2
- Theory and techniques of Comparative Literature 15PCSC002 (30credits) Full Year
- Social and Political Dimensions of Modern Arabic Literature 15PNMC347 (30credits) Full Year
- Literature of South Asia 15PSAC284 (30credits) Full Year
- Vietnam on Screen (PG) 15PSEH014 (15 credits) Term 2
- Violence, justice and the politics of memory 15PPOH019 (15 credits) Term 1
This school offers programs in:
Last updated May 7, 2018