MA Fashion: Branding & Creative Communication is a contemporary studio-based programme designed to build creative and professional skills. With unique industry opportunities including internships with our partner Hearst Magazines UK, it aims to produce the next generation of fashion communicators, with the innovation, strategic thinking and creative vision necessary for careers in the fast-moving industry of visual branding and fashion media and communications.
You will study in a fashion school led by Holly Fulton, an award-winning fashion designer, and creative director. Under her creative direction, CSVPA produces versatile, creative individuals ready to operate within both the commercial and conceptual realms of fashion.
Throughout the 12-month programme in our central Cambridge studios, you will find new sources of inspiration and explore exciting new directions for your image-making practice, experimenting across illustration and graphic media, art direction, editorial (print and digital), corporate branding, styling, photography and moving image to develop your unique signature and approach to the contemporary branding of fashion. You will build a specialist theoretical and practical knowledge of branding and promotional strategies, and apply it to campaigns that communicate with different fashion audiences in a variety of contemporary spaces, real and digital experiences and live platforms.
This programme offers outstanding specialist tuition combined with extensive academic contact and studio access. As a Master’s student you benefit from:
- Studying at a fashion school led by an award-winning designer and Creative Director.
- Exclusive access to media and industry expertise, live briefs and internships through our partners including Hearst Magazines UK, publisher of titles including Harper’s Bazaar, ELLE, and Esquire.
- Expert tuition from industry-active professionals with a passion for teaching.
- Intensive learning experience tailored to your needs and ambitions, with a high level of personalized support and 1:1 tutorial time.
- Opportunities for work placements or industry mentoring as part of the course.
- A postgraduate qualification you need to stand out and get ahead.
- Collaborating with a creative, interdisciplinary and global postgraduate community.
- Your own iMac and studio workspace, open every day of the week.
- Access to regular Life Drawing in our dedicated drawing studio.
- A small, supportive and specialist creative arts college in a beautiful, historic and cultural city—a creative hotspot and home to one of the UK’s most dynamic and international student communities.
This course is awarded by Falmouth University.
What to Expect
At the start, a series of set projects will refine the essential design and image production skills. These practical projects will build confidence in both traditional and digital skills at the same time as developing an informed awareness of the new technologies, experiential platforms and evolving spaces in which images are used to create and communicate contemporary fashion and its brand identities.
These practical projects are supported by lectures and seminars that build core knowledge of the key principles and contemporary strategies of visual branding, marketing and promotion as well as trend prediction and analysis, social media and digital influencers.
Through lectures with our MA Fashion: Design students you will explore historical and contemporary case studies at the cutting edge of fashion media, film and communication, firing your imagination and developing an understanding of the importance of the still and moving fashion ‘image’ in digital and post-digital culture. Previous exhibition visits have included Balenciaga: Shaping Fashion at the Victoria & Albert Museum; T-Shirt: Cult – Culture – Subversion at the Fashion & Textiles Museum, and Fear & Love at London’s new Design Museum—as well as an exclusive curator’s tour of Molly Goddard’s What I Like at the NOW Gallery, organised as part of our partnership with Hearst Magazines UK.
The course offers opportunities for work experience, and our collaboration with industry partners including Hearst Magazines UK sets our programme apart. You can apply for an internship with one of their brands to experience how fashion is communicated in print, online and in live events. Previous students have worked as a fashion and communications interns at Esquire, ELLE, and ELLE Ukraine. These placements have helped previous students develop lasting professional contacts —and even their first magazine design jobs.
Industry insights & live briefs
This insight is supported by live industry-set briefs in fashion communication and branding, including a print editorial fashion shoot set by fashion director of ELLE, and a live branding project set by the entrepreneurial women behind new fashion launch Sosandar. In addition, our programme of Visiting Lecturers has included experienced and innovative professionals working in fashion illustration, high-street fashion brand management and creative direction, and fashion magazines with talks by leading influencers such as Tom Meredith, Creative Director and Anne-Marie Curtis, Editor-in-Chief of ELLE.
In regards to a future in fashion media, this degree prepares students for careers as free-lance stylists, PR specialists, visual merchandisers, e-commerce and marketing officers, trend and color analysts, fashion brand managers and strategists, product editors and fashion event planners. Other opportunities include: fashion management; product development; luxury brand management; marketing; buying; retail; consultancy; logistics; ethics and sustainability; and fashion journalism.
Resources & facilities
All students on our MA programmes have access to a wide range of resources to support their studies and the hybrid nature of contemporary practice across art and design including:
- Industrial sewing machines and technical support from garment technician.
- Gerber technology.
- Industry-standard software including Adobe Creative Cloud, Maxon Cinema 4D.
- Photography studios and access to a wet darkroom.
- Drawing Studio.
- Digital Media Suite and technical support.
- Wood, Metal and Ceramics 3D workshops and technical support.
- Prototype Lab (including 3D printer and laser-cutter).
- Academic Skills Advisor (available for group and 1:1 tutorials).
In addition to facilities and expertise offered at CSVPA, students have been supported to collaborate with technology experts in Cambridge including engineers at University of Cambridge, Cambridge Makespace, as well as local digital printing industries.
20 years +
Successfully completed an Undergraduate Degree in fashion, design, media or communications or a closely related subject.
CSVPA recognises a wide variety of qualifications and/or relevant experience and encourages applications from all people, with a demonstrable interest and experience in their subject. Applications without the qualifications or disciplinary background identified above but who demonstrate relevant experience, necessary skills and intellectual achievement needed to succeed on the course will be considered. Equivalent experience must be evidenced through the additional submission of a professional CV.
In some cases, students may be required to complete a Graduate Diploma.
IELTS 6.5+ (no element under 5.5)
Portfolio & Personal Statement
A portfolio demonstrating appropriate skills, research and prior experience of the subject.
A Personal Statement that tells us about you, your approach to practice, and your ambitions and aspirations for the future.
September to September
Up to 15 hours per week
Up to 5 hours per week if required
Please submit a short statement (300-400 words), telling us about yourself, your previous experience and your approach to creative practice. Please include:
- Reasons for applying to our MA course.
- Experience and skills. What were you doing before?
- Your approach to art/design practice. What inspires, informs and influences what you do—and why?
- Your goals. What do you hope to get out of the MA?
- Your long-term ambitions. How do you think the postgraduate study will help you develop a career in the creative industries?
This school offers programs in:
Last updated July 15, 2018