25% Tuition fee discount if paid by 30th April 2018 + 5% Extra discount for 2 payment instalments
- The University of Derby ranks No16 in the UK for Education studies (Guardian 2017).
- Professionally equivalent to Master’s Degrees from Greek State Universities (accepted by A.S.E.P.).
- Meets the Greek Government requirements for Special Education master’s courses.
- Serves as a recognised Teacher’s Qualification for non-Education graduates (e.g. mathematicians, musicians, etc).
- Teaching & learning directed to professionals (classes twice per month, extensive electronic resources, written course-work, and content adaptable to the professional interests of students).
- Highly interactive and experiential learning, by participants from different areas of Education.
- Special tuition subsidies for Teachers.
- The School of Education is a sponsor of the European Dyslexia Association.
The aim of this programme is to assist graduates of different disciplines to pursue a career in Education, with a Special Needs focus, while offering an accredited Master’s degree. At the same time, this course is relevant to those who seek formal teaching positions in Special Education, as it meets the Greek Government’s requirements for Special Education postgraduate courses. Its flexible structure combined with the block, weekend delivery makes the MA Education an ideal choice for working professionals in Thessaloniki and the wider region.
Email a picture or scan of your school or univeristy transcipt for quick entry evalauation: email@example.com
The programme is addressed to:
- Educators and teachers employed in all fields and levels in Education.
- Other social sciences or health professionals (e.g. psychologists, counsellors, etc.)
- Graduates of Higher Education Institutions, Colleges or overseas Universities, regardless of speciality, who want to build a career in Education.
- Non-University graduates, holders of vocational training certificates (from Vocational Training Institutes (IEK) or HND or equivalent), having significant working experience in Education.
Requirements for registration:
- Copy of the last studies certificate *
- CV (in English)
- Reference Letters (2)
- Good knowledge of English (IELTS 6.0 level or equivalent) **
- Academic interview
- Photos (4)
- Copy of ID-card/ passport
*Candidates without a first degree are also encouraged to apply for the programme. Factors like the possession of other professional qualifications, proven experience in Education and commitment to continuing personal & professional development, may contribute to the admission to the programme.
**Candidates without official English language certificates can sit the English language placement test of Mediterranean College.
Teaching & Learning
This 3-year part-time programme comprises six modules of 20 credits, out of which four are core modules and two are specialist modules. It also includes the diploma thesis (Independent Study) during year 3 that is written, with individual tutor support, on a topic closely related to the student’s particular interests in Special Education.
Students who aspire to fulfil the Greek Government’s criteria for specific degree recognition in Special Education may choose to attend the ‘Developing the Skills of the Specialist Practitioner’ as a 40-credit module, that incorporates 250 hours of work placement in special education settings.
The programme content is practical and flexible, with the intention to enhance the professional specialisation of students and integrate the already existing experiences and interests developed in the workplace. According to the number of credits accumulated, participants have the ability to exit the programme and acquire interim awards, like the Certificate of Achievement, the University Certificate in Education, the Postgraduate Certificate or the Postgraduate Diploma.
|LEVEL||PG CERTIFICATE||PG DIPLOMA||MASTER’S|
|Modules||Crafting your Master's Study
Specific Learning Difficulties
Foundations of Emotional Education
|Special Educational Needs and Disability: Current Issues and Concerns
|Independent Study with a Special Needs focus|
Why choose this course
- The course is fully recognised in Greece as professionally equivalent to a Master’s awarded by a Greek state University (recognition process through SAEP – Council for the Recognition of Professional Qualifications).
- The course meets the Greek Government requirements for master’s programmes in Special Education, mandating total credit value of 90ECTS, 2/3 of its content focusing on special education, a compulsory placement of 20ECTS, and duration of minimum 3 semesters.
- The course includes as structured and supervised placement (250 hours) at Special Needs Schools or Schools with students with Special Needs, thus meeting the Greek government’s requirement for postgraduate programmes in Special Education.
- The course can serve as a teacher’s qualification for non-Education graduates (e.g. mathematicians, physicists, musicians, etc).
- The University of Derby, according to the Guardian University Guide (2017), is placed among the TOP-16 UK Universities for studies in Education and ranks first in Greece among UK Universities represented in the country.
- All programmes offered by the Department of Education of the University of Derby have been assessed as ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted (Office for Standards in Education), the leading, independent association that assesses Education courses in the UK.
- Students attending this course usually come from different educational settings, who share their different experience in class and enhance each student’s opportunities for professional development.
- Students have the opportunity to actively participate in the annual conference “MA Education Works” organised by the University of Derby, as well as in other Greek or international conferences.
- The programme is extremely flexible, both for its delivery pattern (2 Saturdays/ month) and also for its ability to adapt to the particular interests and professional aspirations of students (by choosing assessment topics based on students’ workplace).
- Students can exit the course at different points or attend particular modules and receive interim-exit awards (University Certificate of Achievement, Postgraduate Certificate ή Postgraduate Diploma), according to their accumulated credits.
- The programme does not include written exams. Students are assessed by alternative means, such as written essays, oral presentations, posters and portfolios.
- All academic staff are accredited lecturers of the University of Derby for every module they teach. Mediterranean College implements an integrated system of recruitment, assessment and continuing professional development of academic staff so that students receive excellent teaching and personal support to develop their social and professional skills.
- The School of Education of Mediterranean College provides its students with extensive learning resources (early years workshop, library, electronic resources), sustains a wide network of industry partners (pre-schools centres, nurseries, schools, counselling centres) and organises multiple educational activities beyond the curriculum (conferences, experiential seminars and workshops, student showcases, etc).
- School of Education students actively participate in activities organised within the MC Employability Scheme, the College’s integrative employability development plan.
- The School of Education of Mediterranean College has an exclusive collaboration with the International Montessori Center in Perugia – Italy is a member of the World Organization for Early Childhood Education (OMEP) and a sponsor of the European Dyslexia Association.
Further Study & Career
Graduates are holders of an accredited Master’s degree, professionally equivalent to those awarded by Greek Higher Education Institutions, and may enjoy the professional rights attached to their degree after they proceed with the required recognition procedure by the Greek authorities.
The of MA Education: Special Educational Needs & Disability holders can pursue Special Education teaching or counselling positions in:
- Special Needs Schools
- Special Needs Centres/ Community Centres /Non-Governmental Organisations
- Government & policy making
The can also be self-employed special needs educators. If they wish to, they can continue for postgraduate studies to acquire an MPhil or a doctoral EdD or PhD.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated March 13, 2018