MA Chinese Studies (Literature Pathway)
Duration: One calendar year (full-time); Two or three years (part-time, daytime only).
Entry Requirements: Minimum upper second class honors degree (or equivalent). Incoming students will be expected to have completed at least the equivalent of two years of undergraduate Chinese language study.
Start of programme: September
Mode of Attendance: Full-time or Part-time
This programme enables students to engage critically with the varied aspects of Chinese literature.
This programme covers both pre-modern and modern literature of China. It includes the study of literary works written in the original languages, as well as an introduction to literary theory.
For students on this programme, the dissertation must be on a subject in Chinese Literature.
Students take 180 credits, 60 of which are a dissertation, 30 credits of core modules, 30 credits of compulsory modules, and the remaining 30 credits can be from the list of optional modules.
All modules are subject to availability.
The dissertation must be on a subject in Chinese Literature.
- Dissertation in the Languages and Cultures of China and Inner Asia 15PCHC999 60 Full Year
Students must take 30 credits from the list below. You may take more.
- Traditional Chinese Literature in Translation 15PCHC004 30 Full Year
- Modern Chinese Literature in Translation 15PCHC002 30 Full Year
Students must take the following module.
- Theory and techniques of Comparative Literature 15PCSC002 30 Full Year
30 credits from the list below. You may take more.
- Classical Documentary Texts 15PEAC006 30 Full Year
- Modern Documentary Texts 15PEAC007 30 Full Year
Students may take 30 credits from the list below. Please note that some of the modules listed below may have a language requirement.
China and Inner Asia
- Core Aspects of Chinese Studies 15PCHH028 15 Term 1
- Connections and Intersections: Core Aspects of East Asian Studies 15PJKH025 15 Term 2
- Practical Translation: Chinese to English 15PCHH004 15 Term 2
- Practical Translation: English to Chinese 15PCHH005 15 Term 1
- Modern Chinese Film and Theatre (MA) 15PCHH001 15 Term 1
- Modern Film from Taiwan and the Chinese Diaspora 15PCHH002 15 Term 2
- Reading Seminar: Masterpieces of Modern Chinese Literature 15PCHH029 15 Term 1 Not Running 2018/2019
- Reading Seminar: Modern Chinese Literature and the World 15PCHH030 15 Term 2 Not Running 2018/2019
- Sinological Methodology 15PEAC005 30 Full Year
Japan and Korea
- Modern Japanese Literature (Masters) 15PEAH012 15 Term 2
- Japanese Traditional Drama (Masters) 15PEAH013 15 Term 1
- Reading Pre-modern Japanese Texts 1 (PG) 15PJKH028 15 Term 2
- Reading Pre-modern Japanese Texts 2 (PG) 15PJKH029 15 Term 2 Not Running 2018/2019
- Readings in Korean Literature (Masters) 15PJKH021 15 Term 2
- Literary Traditions and Culture of Korea (Masters) 15PJKH005 15 Term 2
- Trajectories of Modernity in Korean Literature (Masters) 15PJKH006 15 Term 1
Languages, Cultures and Linguistics
- Literatures in African languages 15PAFC124 30 Full Year
- Postcolonial Theory and Practice 15PCSC003 30 Full Year
- Modern Arabic Literature and the West 15PNMC002 30 Full Year Not Running 2018/2019
- Arabic Popular Literature: Themes, Genres & Theory 15PNMC045 30 Full Year Not Running 2018/2019
- A Modern Arabic Literary Genre: Themes and Techniques 15PNMC046 30 Full Year Not Running 2018/2019
- Classical Arabic Prose Literature and Adab 15PNMC047 30 Full Year Not Running 2018/2019
- Social and Political Dimensions of Modern Arabic Literature 15PNMC347 30 Full Year
- Social and Political Trends in 19th Century Turkish Literature 15PNMC373 30 Full Year Not Running 2018/2019
- Selected Topics in 20th Century Turkish Literature 15PNMC374 30 Full Year
- Modern Palestinian Literature (PG) 15PNMC379 30 Full Year
- Arabic Poetry and Criticism 15PNMC048 30 Full Year Not Running 2018/2019
- Arabic Women's Writing: Theories and Practices 15PNMC411 30 Full Year
- Identity and Language in Hebrew Literature 15PNMC412 30 Full Year
- Classical Ottoman Literature (Masters) 15PNMC385 30 Full Year
- Classical Persian Poetry (Masters) 15PNMC401 30 Full Year
- Sanskrit Literature 15PSAC003 30 Full Year Not Running 2018/2019
- Sanskrit Texts from the Hindu Tradition 15PSAC014 30 Full Year Not Running 2018/2019
- Literatures of South Asia 15PSAC284 30 Full Year Not Running 2018/2019
- Literature & Colonialism in North India (Masters) 15PSAH005 15 Term 1 Not Running 2018/2019
- War, Revolution and Independence in South East Asia Literatures in Translation (Masters) 15PSEH009 15 Term 1 Not Running 2018/2019
- The Urban/Rural Divide in South East Asian Literature 15PSEH012 15 Term 1
- English Literatures of South East Asia 15PSEH013 15 Term 2
- Under Western Eyes: European Writings on South East Asia (PG) 15PSEH017 15 Term 1
- Chinese 1 (PG) 15PCHC008 30 Full Year
- Chinese 2 (PG) 15PCHC011 30 Full Year
- Chinese 3 (PG) 15PCHC009 30 Full Year
- Elementary spoken Hokkien (Minnanyu, Taiwanese) (PG) 15PCHC007 30 Full Year
- Japanese 1 (PG) 15PJKC008 30 Full Year
- Japanese 2 (PG) 15PJKC009 30 Full Year
- Korean 1 (PG) 15PJKC022 30 Full Year
- Korean 2 (PG) 15PJKC024 30 Full Year
- Sanskrit Language 1 (PG) 15PSAC294 30 Full Year
- Sanskrit Language 2 (PG) 15PSAC306 30 Full Year
This school offers programs in:
Last updated July 18, 2018