The Research Master’s programme in Archaeology is the most diverse in the Netherlands. Benefit from our extensive experience and reputation in archaeological research.
Choose Archaeology at Leiden University:
The two-year master's programme in Archaeology (research) is organised around the excellent research for which Leiden has reached international renown. There are 7 different focus areas, centred on the research projects that reflect the broad spectrum of research undertaken within the Faculty:
- Human Origins
- Prehistoric Farming Communities in Europe
- Town and Country in the Mediterranean Region and the Near East
- Religion and Society in Native American Cultures
- Archaeological Heritage in a Globalising World
- The Transformation of the Roman World
Every research master's student will start with an introductory course, followed by the research seminar throughout the programme and finally resulting in the thesis, thus embodying our concept of research-driven education. Students gain solid research skills while studying the methodological, theoretical and academic-philosophical aspects of the research focus of choice.
The courses aim to intensify and broaden the students' knowledge base and to develop research and publication skills. You are encouraged to visit conferences, contribute to workshops and to take courses outside the department.
The research master's programme forms an excellent preparation for an academic career in archaeology. Graduates are also eligible for archaeological functions at consultancies or in public service. Graduates may also find employment in positions not directly or indirectly related to their field: journalism, publishing, public relations and international organisations.
Benefit from the most versatile research master's in Archaeology in the Netherlands
- Gain a solid basis for a national or international career in academia, either related to archaeology, heritage management, heritage policy or the museum world.
- Study together with enthusiastic students and staff forming a dynamic international research community, active all around the world.
- Enjoy teaching that is strongly linked to our research, so you do not only hear about our research in the classroom, but you actually participate in it.
- Join an exceptional international community. About half of our graduate students come from abroad, as do more than half of our staff members.
- Discover the world! We encourage you to follow your archaeological interests and build on your expertise, whether this happens through taking specialist courses, or traveling the world for fieldwork and research
Admission and Application
Do you want to apply for this master’s programme at Leiden University? Find out how to apply for your programme by following the step-by-step guide below:
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 31, 2018