We asked our students why they would recommend choosing American Studies at Kent. Here are their top five reasons:
1) The variety of modules to choose from, ranging from Literature, History, Politics, Film etc, and the seminars are relatively small in numbers.
2) The fact that it is a varied programme gives you a chance to meet many different American Studies Lecturers/staff, who are very helpful, approachable and looking out for our best interests...
3) ... and you learn to write essays in different styles, whether it be History, Literature or Politics.
4) It’s great, too, to have a choice of programme pathways, including History, Literature Or Latin American pathways.
5) And of course the choice of a year or semester abroad, with a huge variety of destinations is a perennial attraction.
Oh, and we can’t count, so:
6) This is also quite a small centre, which allows lecturers/students to get to know one another.
The School of History is based at the University of Kent's Canterbury campus.
Called Durovernum by the Romans, Canterbury is a city steeped in history and as such makes a stimulating environment for anyone wishing to study the past. The green and leafy campus is situated on a hill overlooking the city, and is conveniently located for travel to both London and the continent.
The resources available to undergraduates are also excellent. Historians gain access to a wealth of books, journals and other resources through the university's Templeman Library (which is home to over a million items, and the British Cartoon Archive), alongside privileged access to the Canterbury Cathedral Library and Archives. This represents an opportunity to work with a range of top-quality primary sources - such as the Cathedral's unique collection of medieval and early modern manuscripts.
Minimum 2.1 or equivalent in history or a relevant subject. In certain circumstances, the School will consider candidates who have not followed a conventional education path. These cases are assessed individually by the Director of Graduate Studies.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 10, 2017