School of Mining and Geosciences
Established in 2016, Nazarbayev University’ School of Mining and Geosciences (NUSMG) aims to train future leaders and experts in the earth sciences. NUSMG is determined to further scientific knowledge and be a pacemaker of technological advancements through research and teaching. Our mission is to be renowned as a leading school of earth science and research all over the world.
NUSMG mines natural resources in a safe and sustainable manner and satisfies international safety standards for resource exploitation, ensuring the well-being of the domestic and international environment.
The school currently offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs in the following fields:
- Mining Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
The School of Mining and Geosciences maintains strategic partnerships with local and international companies and universities, such as the Colorado School of Mines, a United States’ research university.
About the program
Petroleum Engineering graduate program at Nazarbayev University is a two-year, full-time M.Sc. degree program designed to provide students with a scientific background in hydrocarbon exploration, reservoir engineering and management, oil and gas production, and skills in the practical aspects of petroleum engineering.
In the second year of study, students are required to take two elective courses in addition to conduct research on their selected topic. In the second year, students are expected to develop and practice research within the area of petroleum engineering to complete and submit a high-quality thesis.
- Campus: Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan
- Language: English
- Delivery mode: Full time, on-campus
- Duration: 2 years
- Total ECTS credits: 120
- IELTS – no less than 6.5 overall (with at least 6.0 in each sub-score) or TOEFL iBT – 79-93 or TOEFL PBT* – 574-599.
- SAT Subject Test – Math and Physics with at least 600 in each subject.
- SAT Reasoning Test with Essay 1240. An essay is required, no minimum score.
- ACT – composite score not less than 27. Writing part is required, no minimum score.
*Not less than 30 for the total score and 4, 4, 5 for 3 subjects of High Level (IB Diploma)
*Not less than ABB in any 3 subjects (NIS Grade 12 Certificate)
Work after graduation
Possible career destinations:
- National and international oil and gas companies: operators, service companies, field developers.
- Midstream companies: oil and gas transportation, pipelines design and management
- Geothermal energy companies
- Research and development sectors in Energy
- Energy management
Colorado School of Mines
Other strategic partners of Nazarbayev University
- Duke University, Fuqua School of Business (USA)
- The National University of Singapore, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy (Singapore)
- The University of Pennsylvania (USA)
- The University of Cambridge (UK)
- The University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA)
- The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (USA)
- The Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (USA)
- The Oak Ridge Associated Universities (USA)
About the School
Located in Nur-Sultan City, Kazakhstan, in Central Asia, Nazarbayev University is a research university with growing international renown combining education and innovation on a state of the art 21st- ... Read More