School of Engineering and Digital Sciences
Nazarbayev University’s School of Engineering and Digital Sciences (NU SEDS) has designed all of its programs to revolutionize the traditional engineering and science learning environment of lectures and laboratories to include modern components that engage students in project-based exercises in critical thinking.
As world-class leaders in STEM education, all NU SEDS graduates enter the global marketplace as highly skilled experts in their chosen field of study. Our graduates go on to become innovators who overcome the obstacles in Central Asia and Eurasia’s advanced technology industries.
The SEDS promotes a mission of utilizing advanced technologies and research to shape student expertise and train them in critical thinking and inventive design.
Graduates of NU SEDS are coveted in the global engineering and digital science community because of our students’ interdisciplinary perspectives essential to advancing modern industry and infrastructure.
About the program
The Master of Science in Data Science is a two-year program full-time program (120 ECTS credits) at the School of Engineering and Digital Sciences (SEDS) at Nazarbayev University. Data Sciences is the scientific discipline that covers the full range of the data life cycle. It includes both theoretical and practical methods for organizing, processing, and analyzing the data and transforming data into information and, increasingly, information into actionable “intelligence”.
The first term of study is designed to provide a foundation in the fundamentals of the field and to provide a baseline for all incoming admissions streams from several related but distinct fields of undergraduate study. The program includes discipline core courses and a set of topical electives that provide the continuity of study across the two years.
The program includes discipline core courses and a set of topical electives that provide the continuity of study across the two years. The discipline courses are augmented by an arc of courses that provide milestones for program advancement and completion of the Thesis. This arc consists of a course in Research Methods, Research Seminar, Thesis Proposal, and then a final term to conclude and defend the work.
The program offers a research-and student-centered education. The balance of emphasis on fundamentals, recent computational innovations, big data analytics, and applied artificial intelligence will stimulate and accelerate knowledge discoveries. The program requires a 30 ECTS thesis as part of the degree completion requirements. Students are encouraged to present their research findings at international conferences and to publish their results in scientific journals.
- Campus: Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan
- Language: English
- Delivery mode: Full time, on-campus
- Duration: 2 years
- Total ECTS credits: 120
- Completion of the on-line application form by the applicant.
- An undergraduate degree program in an appropriate field or discipline with a minimum CGPA of at least 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale).
- IELTS – overall score 6.5, with no less than a 6.0 in any subsection, for full admission or the TOEFL equivalent.
- A statement of purpose for graduate studies.
- Two letters of reference.
Work after graduation
Possible career destinations:
- Data analyst
- BI analyst
- Data processing engineer
- Data Architect
- Data Explorer
Strategic partners of Nazarbayev University
- Duke University, Fuqua School of Business (USA)
- The National University of Singapore, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy (Singapore)
- The University of Pennsylvania (USA)
- The University of Cambridge (UK)
- Colorado School of Mines (USA)
- The University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA)
- The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (USA)
- The Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (USA)
- The Oak Ridge Associated Universities (USA)
About the School
Located in Nur-Sultan City, Kazakhstan, in Central Asia, Nazarbayev University is a research university with growing international renown combining education and innovation on a state of the art 21st- ... Read More