School of Sciences and Humanities
The academic staff at Nazarbayev University’s School of Sciences and Humanities comprises scholars with doctoral degrees from leading universities around the world. We also have researchers involved in various studies, and our scientists in the natural sciences conduct researches in about 90 laboratories. Some of our faculty members even specialize in Eurasian studies. Admitted students of NU SSH can rest assured of tapping from our faculty’s wealth of knowledge and experience, both inside and outside the classroom.
We keep our classes small so students can readily receive one-on-one attention from their instructors. Moreover, instructors can tailor classes to the need of each student for the best learning experience owing to our student-centered learning. Our professors can work with the weaknesses of every student and improve their strengths. Laboratory experience and research involvement are not spared from this approach: our students get practical laboratory experience and collaborate with their colleagues or their professors in researches.
About the program
Chemistry is frequently referred to as a “central science” for its key role in advancing technological progress through the design and synthesis of novel functional materials for energy, environmental, and biomedical applications.
Our two-year program will extend your depth and breadth of knowledge in all domains of modern chemical science, helping you to become an excellent industrial or academic chemist.
By enrolling in the program you will benefit from fast-developing research infrastructure and well-balanced study programs delivered by our highly qualified international academic staff. You will also be able to advance such essential skills as project management, team-working, problem-solving, preparing and delivering oral and poster presentations, as well as a critical assessment of relevant scientific literature.
- Campus: Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan
- Language: English
- Delivery mode: Full time, on-campus
- Duration: 2 years
- Total ECTS credits: 120
The two-year 120 ECTS credit MSc Program in Chemistry is a research-intensive second cycle program designed according to the Bologna requirements.
The curriculum of the program consists of three different types of courses:
- Core courses (24 ECTS),
- Elective courses (30 ECTS), and
- Teaching and Research courses (36 ECTS) and Thesis (30 ECTS)
Compulsory courses of type are designed to give a solid and wide base of advanced knowledge in the different areas of Chemistry (Physical Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry). These courses are therefore planned for the first year.
By means of the selection of the optional courses, the Student will have the opportunity to define his/her personalized specialization of interest for research and working purposes. These courses are planned for the first year (second semester) and second-year (first semester).
The graduates are expected to acquire advanced chemical, physical, mathematical, computational (calculation and simulation), and laboratory experimental skills as relevant to the subjects of their Master projects. They are further expected to become exposed to the international research environment and to acquire strong scientific communication skills.
- An undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent).
During the application period, final year students may submit an official current transcript for consideration.
- A minimum CGPA of 2.75 out of 4.0 (or equivalent).
- English Language Requirements.
IELTS – no less than 6.5 overall (with at least 6.0 in each sub-score) or the equivalent TOEFL score as posted on the ETS website.
- High motivation and a strong interest in the program as outlined in a statement of purpose.
- CV (Resume).
- Two letters of recommendation.
Work after graduation
Possible career destinations:
- The graduates are expected to acquire advanced chemical, physical, mathematical, computational (calculation and simulation), and laboratory experimental skills as relevant to the subjects of their Master projects. They are further expected to become exposed to the international research environment and to acquire strong scientific communication skills.
- In the future, you will have a chance to prosper your career in the petroleum/oil industry, geology industry, pharmaceutical industry or work in the government sector.
University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA)
Other strategic partners of Nazarbayev University
- Duke University, Fuqua School of Business (USA)
- The National University of Singapore, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy (Singapore)
- The University of Pennsylvania (USA)
- The University of Cambridge (UK)
- Colorado School of Mines (USA)
- The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (USA)
- The Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (USA)
- The Oak Ridge Associated Universities (USA)
About the School
Located in Nur-Sultan City, Kazakhstan, in Central Asia, Nazarbayev University is a research university with growing international renown combining education and innovation on a state of the art 21st- ... Read More