School of Sciences and Humanities
The academic staff at Nazarbayev University’s School of Sciences and Humanities comprises scholars with doctoral degrees from leading universities around the world. We also have researchers involved in various studies, and our scientists in the natural sciences conduct researches in about 90 laboratories. Some of our faculty members even specialize in Eurasian studies. Admitted students of NU SSH can rest assured of tapping from our faculty’s wealth of knowledge and experience, both inside and outside the classroom.
We keep our classes small so students can readily receive one-on-one attention from their instructors. Moreover, instructors can tailor classes to the need of each student for the best learning experience owing to our student-centered learning. Our professors can work with the weaknesses of every student and improve their strengths. Laboratory experience and research involvement are not spared from this approach: our students get practical laboratory experience and collaborate with their colleagues or their professors in researches.
About the program
Master of Science in Applied Mathematics program is a two-year program designed to train students as professional applied mathematicians who will possess in-depth knowledge of advanced theory and practical knowledge in numerical simulation, statistical analysis, data mining, and computational mechanics.
Our small classes and student-centered approach mean that all of our students have the opportunity to develop close relationships with their instructors who can guide them into academic paths uniquely suited to them. Students have opportunities to get hands-on experience in laboratories and to participate in research projects independently or with their professors.
- Campus: Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan
- Language: English
- Delivery mode: Full time, on-campus
- Duration: 2 years
- Total ECTS credits: 120
Master of Science in Applied Mathematics program is a two-year program (120 ECTS credits) designed to train students as professional applied mathematicians who will possess in-depth knowledge of advanced theory and practical knowledge in numerical simulation, statistical analysis, data mining, and computational mechanics.
Graduates are expected to acquire advanced mathematical, statistical, and computational skills as relevant to the subjects of their Master projects. Furthermore, they will develop skills in interdisciplinary numerical simulations, statistical computing, and computer-aided design environment and will acquire a command of scientific communication skills.
- Mathematical Modeling and Simulation
- Statistical Learning
- Software Principles and Practice
- Optimization Methods and Techniques
- Advanced Numerical Methods
- Data analysis and statistical learning
- Numerical Methods for PDEs
- Statistical Programming
- Operations Research
- Applied Finite Element Analysis
- Nonlinear Differential Equations
- Advanced Partial Differential Equations with Applications
- Research Methods
- Thesis Proposal
- Thesis Research
Teaching and Learning Courses:
- Teaching and Learning
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Teaching Practicum
- Laboratory Practicum
- An undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent).
During the application period, final year students may submit an official current transcript for consideration.
- A minimum CGPA of 2.75 out of 4.0 (or equivalent).
- English Language Requirements.
IELTS – no less than 6.5 overall (with at least 6.0 in each sub-score) or the equivalent TOEFL score as posted on the ETS website.
- High motivation and a strong interest in the program as outlined in a statement of purpose.
- CV (Resume).
- Two letters of recommendation.
Work after graduation
Possible career destinations:
- Operation Research analysts
- Financial analysts/Auditors
- Computer security analysts
- Mathematics educators
- Analytics and forecasting organizations
- Communication Technology
- IT and software firms; Computer Manufacturers
- Financial service and investment management firms
University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA)
Other strategic partners of Nazarbayev University
- Duke University, Fuqua School of Business (USA)
- The National University of Singapore, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy (Singapore)
- The University of Pennsylvania (USA)
- The University of Cambridge (UK)
- Colorado School of Mines (USA)
- The University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA)
- The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (USA)
- The Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (USA)
- The Oak Ridge Associated Universities (USA)
About the School
Located in Nur-Sultan City, Kazakhstan, in Central Asia, Nazarbayev University is a research university with growing international renown combining education and innovation on a state of the art 21st- ... Read More