The M.A. in Translation & Bilingual Communication Programme aims to provide, at the postgraduate level and with the needs of main target groups in mind, focused and vigorous training in Translation and Bilingual Communication.
- The first M.A. in Translation and Bilingual Communication in Hong Kong
- Choice of three streams of study – Interpreting Stream, Practical Stream or Research Stream
- Choices from a wide range of theoretical and practical courses
- Taught by faculty members of the Translation Programme, HKBU, and other experts in the field
- To cater to the needs of students with different talents and abilities;
- To offer more vigorous and concentrated training and enabling future trainees to acquire more insightful and professional skills in interpreting;
- To provide intellectual stimulation to mid-career translators and those whose work requires bilingual/trilingual competence by encouraging them to reflect on their profession, develop conceptual, analytical and linguistic skills that can further inform their work, and refine their organisational and presentational skills;
- To help takers of the programme exercise their critical mind and appreciate better the relation between theory and practice so that they can be more aware of and more articulate about the intricacies of bilingual communication and how they negotiate the challenges of translation;
- To provide a scholarly introduction to the discipline of Translation Studies for those contemplating the pursuit of a career in academia; and
- To offer those whose training was in a different or related field an opportunity to expand their intellectual horizon and to get acquainted with the lines of inquiry, the research methods and the general landscape of the discipline of Translation Studies so that they can join the community of Translation scholars and strengthen the interdisciplinary dimension of this fast-growing discipline.
- Hold a Bachelor's degree from a recognised university or an equivalent professional qualification;
- Be able to communicate in English at an advanced level, and provide evidence of competence in English such as possessing one or more of the following qualifications:
- Grade D or above in AS/AL Use of English, or
- A minimum TOEFL score of 587 (paper-based) or 240 (computer-based) or 94 (internet-based), or
- A score of 7 or above in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or
- CET-6 (College English Test Band 6) in mainland China: 520 or above, or a pass in CET-6 for the old version of CET; or TEM-8 (Test for English Majors Level 8): 60 or above; AND
- Be able to communicate in Chinese (Putonghua or Cantonese) at an advanced level, and provide evidence of competence in Chinese such as possessing or more of the following qualifications:
- Grade D or above in AS Chinese Language and Culture (HKALE), or
- A B.A. degree with Chinese as the medium of instruction
Applications for admission should be made to the Graduate School of HKBU.
The following documents must be submitted for assessment:
- A copy of the original academic transcript of the first degree received by the applicant; and/or a copy of the original academic transcript of the Postgraduate Diploma/MA, if there is any, received by the applicant; photocopies of such transcripts should be authenticated by the issuing institution;
- Two letters from referees of good standing in the community who are familiar with the applicant's academic performance and/or professional work; and
- Two 300-word self-statements, one in English and one in Chinese, outlining the applicant's academic interests and objectives.
Deadline of Application:
31 March 2020
- HK$105,000 for one-year full-time
About the School
The Faculty of Arts is an essential part of Hong Kong Baptist University, an institution that is firmly committed to being ”a leading liberal arts university in Asia for the world delivering academic ... Read More