The Department of Psychology offers an undergraduate major leading to the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree, a minor program, course options for General Education requirements and electives, service courses for other majors, and three graduate programs leading to the Master of Arts (M.A.) degree.
Our M.A. degree program in Academic Research allows undergraduate students to apply during their junior year and complete their M.A. degree in a 5th year (their B.A. plus one year). Students select an emphasis in Neuroscience, Social and Cognitive Psychology, Developmental Psychology, or Behavior Analysis. More information on the 5th year blended Master’s program can be found on the department webpage.
The Psychology Club is open to all students who have an interest in psychology, and works closely with Psi Chi, the national honor society for psychology majors. We have a local chapter of Psi Chi. The department is known for friendly relations between faculty, staff and students. Each student is assigned a faculty advisor, and office hours and informal contacts with professors are readily available. The department staff includes an Administrative Support Coordinator, Graduate Coordinator, and Test Librarian. The department office is open year-round during regular business hours.
- Research labs for neuroscience and social, developmental, cognitive, clinical and community psychology
- psychological test library
- interviewing and counseling rooms with video equipment and one-way mirrors
- a community counseling facility staffed by graduate students and supervised by Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS)
- opportunities for observation and research at the Child Development Lab, a demonstration preschool run by the HSU Child Development Department
- opportunities for supervised volunteer experience in the community
About the School
Humboldt State students enjoy an extraordinary college experience, taking small classes taught by professors who know them by name. They live and learn in one of the world's most beautiful places—near ... Read More