The M.A. in Music is a two-year part-time or one-year full-time Master's Degree for music educators and other holders of a first degree in music. This flexible course covers different study areas, and students choose courses according to their professional interests and musical aspirations.
The programme is designed to develop in graduates the philosophy and skills necessary for postgraduate studies in music: to provide a theoretical framework for research and creative work; to develop opportunities for the application and communication of musical ideas in a variety of settings; and to develop a wider perspective of music and its applications in a changing world context. All courses are taught in English, except for those related to Chinese music which may be taught in Chinese.
In this 30-unit course (two years by part-time study or in one year by full-time study) classes are mainly held on weekday evenings, with occasional classes held on Saturdays, and offerings of intensive courses in the summer. The programme structure includes 3 core elective courses (9 units), and 7 elective courses (21 units). Note that not all elective courses will be offered in any one academic year.
For graduation, students must satisfactorily complete all 30 units with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.50.
- To develop in graduates the academic, artistic, and technological bases for advanced independent work in music applicable in a variety of areas appropriate to Hong Kong;
- To enable graduates to create and evaluate projects showing intellectual and artistic endeavour;
- To enable graduates to evolve and synthesize ideas from the cultural, creative, technological, and educational elements presented in the programme; and
- To help graduates understand and be able to apply technologies relevant to individual, group, social and cultural interests.
- 1-year full-time or *2-year part-time.
Both full-time and part-time students will attend classes on weekday evenings and/or on weekends, depending on the schedule of the courses offered. Other courses may be offered during summer according to the course offering schedule.
*For local student only.
Admission Requirement & Information
Admission and Language Proficiency Requirements
Applicants should possess:
- A bachelor’s degree in music with at least second class honours from a recognized university or comparable institution; OR
- Qualifications deemed to be equivalent.
Non-local applicants whose bachelor’s degree was awarded by an institution/university where the medium of instruction was not English, are required to fulfil the English Language Requirements of a score of 6 or above in IELTS, or 74 (internet-based)/537 (paper-based) in TOFEL.
Short-listed applicants will be invited for an interview, and a written test.
- Online application
- The application period for 2020-2021 M.A. in Music: 23 Sept 2019 - 31 May 2020
Applicant please prepare the below documents and submit them together with your application.
- Identity card/passport copy;
- Supporting documents (official transcript(s) and certificate(s)) of all the academic qualifications;
- Music qualification certificate(s) which obtained by examination and above ABRSM G.8 or equivalent;
- Test Result of IELTS 6.0 or above / 74 (internet-based) or 537 (paper-based) in TOEFL and
- 2 Reference Letters/ recommendation forms (submitted by referees)
The Department reserves the right to decline applications received after the admission quota is full.
About the School
The Faculty of Arts is an essential part of Hong Kong Baptist University, an institution that is firmly committed to being ”a leading liberal arts university in Asia for the world delivering academic ... Read More