M.A. in Biotechnology program offers the choice of two specializations:
- Biotechnology of bioactive compounds
- Experimental biotechnology
Studying biotechnology prepares to:
work as an employee or team leader in following specialities: biotechnologist, microbiologist, biochemist, geneticist, biologist, laboratory analyst, laboratory technician, quality assurance specialist, specialist for drug registration in industrial research centers that use biotechnology processes, in research, control and diagnostic laboratories, pharmaceutical firms, plant breeding stations, institutes for public economics, environmental protection agencies and departments of natural resources management, etc.
- can progress to Ph.D. programs;
- can progress to postgraduate studies
- 3-month paid internships for at least 35% of graduates (with salary up to the national average level and additional accommodation payment) enable a smooth labor market entry;
- opportunity to participate in biotechnology company visits;
- professional practices in industrial companies, laboratories, research institutions or others (offer available at the KUL’s Careers Center) – according to own predispositions, interests and labor market needs;
- a range of practices and study visits in modern specialized laboratories of the Interdisciplinary Center for Scientific Research of the Catholic University of Lublin;
- students who want to develop their knowledge can participate in KUL’s Biotechnology Circle (e.g. can participate in the organization of scientific conferences and research work conducted at the faculty).
Skills acquired by Biotechnology graduates
- knowledge of biochemistry, microbiology, biology, and statistics that enables to investigate and interpret natural phenomena;
- ability to write the research procedure and applicable specification documents;
- ethical behavior for the time of planning and conducting the research experiments;
- knowledge of research principles in planning with the use of investigation techniques and tools applied in the field of biotechnology;
- knowledge of quality assurance at the stage of development, production and quality control of the biotechnology product;
- ability to obtain the rights under the external certification course: "Quality and Internal Audit Specialist".
- application of research techniques and tools in the field of natural sciences, in particular in biotechnology;
- free extra certificate courses: “Advanced chromatographic techniques” and “Flow cytometry”;
- application of statistic methods in the interpretation of natural processes, analysis, and verification of experimental results;
- practical application of the work principles in aseptic conditions;
- the ability to undertake the basic diagnostic analysis.
- our graduates possess effective presentation skills with the use of multimedia tools;
- can properly determine the priorities for the task implementation while planning scientific experiment;
- can interact and work in a team, taking on different roles in it;
- students can participate in extra classes certified by an appropriate diploma: “Self-presentation in a business situation”, “Effective communication”, “Teamwork skills”, “Dealing with stress”, “Leaders' course”.
- knowledge of specialized vocabulary in the field of biotechnology in English;
- read and comprehend complex scientific texts in English;
- understand and track specialized scientific literature;
- opportunity to participate in course certified by an appropriate diploma: "English Language in Biology”.
- The graduate can use basic ICT tools, such as word processors, visual presentation software, web services, and apps.
- describing and interpreting natural phenomena as well as analyzing and verifying research results based on statistical methods;
- ability to select critically available information from various sources
Please note: MA in Biotechnology is tuition-free and only available for EU applicants.
The program starts on October 1st, 2019
About the School
The John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin is one of the oldest Polish universities. Throughout its nearly 100-year history, it has been one of the most important centers of Catholic thought, maki ... Read More