The European Community has indicated to its member states recommendations for promoting mediation and cooperative conflict management, which in turn provide guidance on the importance of appropriate training. On the other hand, normative and legislative frameworks are being developed in Spain and in our autonomous community in mediation, so that it is an effective resource for resolving conflicts in judicial processes and in socio-community, educational, institutional, etc. contexts.
This Master provides an interdisciplinary and interuniversity training. In this inter-university master's degree, together with the University of La Laguna (ULL), the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (ULPGC) participates. The team of teachers belongs to different areas of knowledge of psychology, law, sociology, social work, geography and education. In this Title the students will learn the knowledge and skills necessary for the analysis and management of conflicts and the development of the role of the mediation professional in different fields of application: family, social, community, intercultural, educational and judicial. The students will receive theoretical and practical lessons of the techniques and strategies necessary to practice professionally as mediator and to know, also, other modalities of cooperative resolution of conflicts. The students who qualify for this master's degree will be qualified to join the official list of mediators of the Government of the Canary Islands. This master is derived from the former Master of Family Intervention and Mediation; therefore, it has experienced and guaranteed teachers.
The European Community has made recommendations to Member States to incorporate mediation and cooperative conflict management into the judicial system and other contexts of implementation. In addition, it establishes, in turn, indications on the importance of appropriate training. On the other hand, regulatory and legislative frameworks are being developed in Spain and in our autonomous community, in terms of mediation, so that it is an effective resource for resolving conflicts in judicial processes and in socio-communitarian, educational, institutional, etc. contexts. .
This Master provides an interdisciplinary and interuniversity training. The team of teachers belongs to different areas of knowledge of psychology, law, sociology, social work, geography and education.
In this Title the students will learn the knowledge and skills necessary for the analysis and management of conflicts and the development of the professional role of mediation in different areas of application: family, social, community, intercultural, educational and judicial. The students will receive theoretical and practical lessons of the techniques and strategies necessary to practice professionally as mediator and to know, also, other modalities of cooperative resolution of conflicts. The students who qualify for this master's degree will be qualified to join the official list of mediators of the Government of the Canary Islands.
This master is derived from the former Master of Family Intervention and Mediation; therefore, it has experienced and guaranteed teachers.
Entry and exit profile
The profile of admission and previous training that qualifies for access to the degree is as follows:
- Possess any of the following qualifications:
- Primary education
- Early Childhood Education
- Social worker
- Social educator
- In addition, B1 accreditation of the English language level is required.
Note: It is planned to make a modification in the Title Verification Report to allow access to any university degree, but it is unlikely that this modification will be available for the 2014-2015 academic year.
The improvement of this master's degree will develop the following professional skills:
- Design processes and actions of mediation and conflict management considering the different conditions and characteristics of conflicts.
- Design evaluation and innovation procedures in the practice of mediation and conflict management.
- Use advanced techniques and specialized skills that are proper to conflict management and mediation.
- Apply the modalities and procedures of mediation contextualizing them to the different areas and situations.
- Evaluate the development and results of mediation and conflict management processes.
- Coordinate your professional performance with that of other professionals knowing the limitations and the ethics of mediation.
The purpose of the degree leads to the acquisition by the students of an advanced training of a specialized and interdisciplinary character, oriented to the professional specialization. Specifically, the objective of this master's degree is to train, in a theoretical, practical and applied way, to its students in the knowledge, skills, techniques, and strategies of family and sociocommunitarian mediation as well as to develop the understanding of the limitations and ethical principles of this activity.
- Understand the professional role, fundamentals and principles of mediation and conflict management in family, social and community contexts.
- Apply the skills, skills and professional work that are proper to conflict management and family and sociocommunication mediation.
- Design processes and actions of mediation and conflict management considering the different conditions and characteristics of conflicts in the family and sociocommunity.
- To evaluate the development and results of the processes of mediation and conflict management in the family and sociocommunity areas.
- To know, from an ecological -social perspective, the social and psychological evolution of the Spanish family, the relations of its members and the different contexts of family diversity.
- Understand the elements, characteristics, processes and dynamics of the family from the psychological and social perspective.
- Understand theories, elements, processes, psychological bases and modalities of resolution and conflict management.
- Apply the procedures of quality assessment and innovation processes in professional practice.
- Apply the professional skills in the procedures and techniques of family and sociocommunity mediation.
- To know the legal frameworks of professional mediation.
- Evaluate the different elements and procedures according to the stages of mediation.
- Apply the modalities and procedures of mediation contextualizing them to the different spheres and situations
- Understand the limitations and ethics of mediation.
- Apply the acquired knowledge about the objects and areas of action in family mediation.
- Apply acquired knowledge about the objects and areas of action in community-based mediation in community, intercultural, educational, civil and criminal contexts.
- Evaluate the actions and results of the procedures followed in the mediator or conflict management process.
Orientation and tutoring
The master has a plan of tutorials and academic guidance. This plan aims to help the students of the Master to successfully complete their training during their stay in the same, guiding at all times and ensuring their autonomous learning. To this end, two complementary systems will be articulated through which all the tutorial actions will be developed. A first way will be individual tutoring, through the teacher-tutor, and the other system will be conducted in a group, which will be conducted by the academic coordinator of the Master.
Each student or student will have both a tutor or tutor-academic, or a tutor or tutor-professional.
The tutor-academic will be a university professor of the Master and will be in charge of supporting the formative process of the students within the university campus, for this, will maintain regular electronic or telephone communication with their tutored ones and will fix weekly place, days and hours of tutorials that could be used by them. Between the functions that we can emphasize of the tutor-academic we point out: 1) to advise in strategies of autonomous learning; 2) encourage to be persistent in the attainment of the formative goals, in spite of the obstacles that appear; 3) help solve problems that arise during postgraduate training; 4) collaborate in the achievement of an integral and professional vision of academic learning; 5) Teach to plan and organize learning activity.
For its part, the tutor-professional will be responsible for guiding the formative process of the students, that is, in those centers of practices that collaborate with the Master. The tutor-professional will be a trainee worker, with a university degree related to the profile of areas of knowledge of the Master. More specifically, among the specific functions of the tutor-professional we highlight: 1) coordinate with the academic tutor of the students to ensure the optimal intervention of the same in the practice center; 2) to facilitate the incorporation and integration of the students in the practice center; 3) familiarize the students with the organizational culture of the practice center; 4) to advise students in the design, implementation and evaluation of professional interventions or actions; 5) support the process of practical training.
Both academic and professional tutors will use the individual interview, as a basic means to carry out their guiding action with the students.
The Master Tutoring Coordinator will be responsible and the principal agent of the tutorial action by group. This coordination will use as a preferred means the holding of group sessions with both tutors and students. These group sessions will be distributed throughout the entire training period of the students, paying special attention to the initial moments of incorporation to the Master, intermediate or permanence in the Master and the end or termination.
Integrated set of practices that provide direct experience in the fields of professional action of mediation. Students will practice conflict management and mediation in different professional contexts. Throughout the process, students will be supervised by an academic tutor (university professor) and by a professional tutor (professional with appropriate degree and training) in the context of supervised external practices.
Master's degree job
The students will make a final report of the Master that they will have to defend before a court of professors that represent the areas of knowledge involved in the teaching of the master, chosen by the master's management. This work may have a thematic review character, or critical and reflective analysis of the external practices performed. The student must demonstrate his ability to reflect and integrate the knowledge acquired during the course. The students must present the summary of the work in English in written and spoken form. At least one-third of the literature review is required to be in the English language. Throughout the process, students will be guided by an academic tutor (teacher of the master's degree).
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 23, 2017