- Duration of study (years): 1.5 year
- Title of studies: European Public Law and Policy (MA, 1.5 years or 3 semesters)
- Level of Title of Study: Postgraduate (2nd Cycle of Studies)
- Language of instruction: Greek
- Study Mode: Full-time / Part-time
- Minimum Credit Units: 27
- Minimum European Credit Units (ECTS): 90
The Programme addresses legal aspects holders, Political Science and / or Public Administration, International and / or European Studies, International Relations and other relevant qualifications.
The Program aims to provide the opportunity for bi-scientific approach, deepen and sharpen the cognitive module which consists of the subjects / fields of the State and of European Law, Political Theory, Political Science, International and European Studies and others objects included in the broader field of political science.
Systematic post-graduate training in these disciplines can be a critical asset for people who aim to work in a multitude of sectors, organizations and professions. By way of example, the supplies to be obtained by the graduates of the Program will be useful:
- In senior or junior employees of the Public Service and various state or semi-state organizations.
- Executives of international organizations such as the European Union, the UN, the Council of Europe etc.
- Executives Non-Governmental Organizations, international or national.
- Members of the diplomatic corps and other employees in embassies or other agencies and organizations active in the field of interstate relations.
- To those who are about to undertake practical legal science, either as attorneys or as legal advisors to companies and to public or private organizations, NGOs, international organizations, etc., or as judges.
The overall objective of the Programme is to develop the level of knowledge, skills and abilities of graduate students in the abovementioned disciplines, the main axis of the interdisciplinary approach and the consequent realization (a) of the multidimensional nature of the issues that will have to face in their careers and (b) the "goodwill" that brings interdisciplinarity and methodical, multi-faceted approach to the issues.
Pillar of the educational approach is to combine the theoretical with the practical dimension of the issues that arise in cognitive Public Law and Political Theory unity and development of the ability to theoretically sound and practically tackle these issues.
From the perspective of individual subjects, particular emphasis will be placed on the European dimension of the issues and their links with the challenges, weaknesses and the prospect of European political, economic, cultural and social 'integration »(European integration).
The first specific objective of the Graduate Program European Public Law and Policy is to assimilate the basic concepts and magnitudes of Public Law and Political Sciences, such as eg concepts / sizes of state and government, popular or national sovereignty, democracy and the rule of law in its various aspects (liberal, democratic, social), public administration, the Constitution and the production processes of (constituent power), the federation and other forms of transnational cooperation etc. An understanding of these concepts / aggregates is a sine qua non condition for an in-depth approach complex problems, such as European political integration, the challenges posed by the participation of a Member State to the EU, the state status and future prospects of the Cyprus Republic, etc.
The second specific objective of the Programme is to provide the necessary knowledge about the basic theoretical approaches and around the rich institutional and legal data in a series of disciplines, such as the constitutional organization of the state and governance, human rights, the EU's functioning and the interface with Member States and national jurisdictions, modern developments in Public Administration (Corporate Management, eGovernment, new accountability mechanisms and transparency and so on), planning and social policy with reference to modern theories of social and economic justice, etc.
The program will be structured in a way that enables students to specialize in areas of their special interest, but only after you have previously assimilated the general directions of interdisciplinary and methodical research as well as basic knowledge of the key figures Public Law and Political Theory.
The third specific objective of the Programme is the systematic cultivation of di-scientism, avoiding misunderstood concepts around the topic, in particular avoiding, on the one hand, the extreme position of full independence of Legal Science of Political Science and the other hand, the equally extreme position that fails to distinguish between substantive and methodological specificities of disciplines. The program aspires to be, inter alia, "workshop" and scope for developing a coherent interdisciplinary mindset, through identifying the complexity of the problems of space, but also through the careful delineation of the different disciplines and methodological approaches to legal science and political science respectively.
The ultimate goal is to provide stakeholders the tools for research and PhD thesis, in order to strengthen and guide members of the two Departments on the need for foreign language publications in journals and inspections.
As mentioned, the Program is aimed at holders of degrees in Law, Political Science and / or Public Administration, International and / or European Studies, International Relations and other relevant qualifications seeking to acquire additional qualifications to assist them in employment and / or their performance in a number of areas and professional activities, including the Public Service and various state or semi-governmental organizations, international organizations such as the European Union, the UN, and the Council in non-governmental organizations of international or national scale, in the diplomatic corps and embassies or other agencies and organizations active in the field of transnational relations as well as in the whole range of activities related to the practice of legal science (lawyers , legal advisors, judges, etc.). The need to expand the knowledge and skills of these people is a given and the demand for such a possibility is obvious. On the other hand, the offer and the choices of those concerned is quite limited. In Cyprus there is currently bidding on Graduate Programs of cognitive unity of Public Law and Political Science, and the proposed program can be selected from graduates of Greek universities who seek graduate education and training in these areas of special interest. The development at the graduate level of education and university research in scientific fields covered by the program will bring new opportunities to people who would offer their services in the above key areas and improve therefore the overall level of knowledge and management issues, increasing associated benefits to the community.
Access to Further Studies
Graduates of this program will be able to pursue doctoral studies in one of the fields of knowledge that form the Program's cognitive module.
The Postgraduate Program of Law and Policy in the European Union aims at learning outcomes that will make graduates able to use the cognitive and methodological tools they have acquired so that they can face practical problems and are asked through a solid theoretically " approach (unity of theory and practice, for the benefit of innovation and practical effectiveness).
The student, after the completion of the Program, is expected to be able to:
- He develops knowledge about basic concepts, principles and theories in the fields of Public Law and Political Sciences,
- It demonstrates skills related to the content and specific subjects of the cognitive module,
- Apply the necessary methodological tools to conduct independent research on specific issues or problems in the fields of Public Law and Political Science,
- It exploits the basic concepts, principles and theories and its specific knowledge in the various subjects of the cognitive module in order to carry out the above independent research,
- It combines interdisciplinary methodological and cognitive tools of legal and political science respectively to formulate innovative approaches and proposals,
- It develops its own specific theories in which it will support the interdisciplinary and methodical approach to specific issues and problems,
- It combines theoretical with empirical knowledge, so that it is able to deal with simple or complex issues arising in the professional areas of interest (cf. for them the unity of the general objectives of the Program, under 6 and below under 12),
- It identifies priority issues which are or must be analyzed and evaluated at national, European or international level,
- It implements the necessary analytical, organizational, management and communication skills to make it easy to engage in professional areas of interest (cf. for them the unity of the general objectives of the Program, under 6 and below under 12), both at national and international level,
- It utilizes the necessary skills and the associated mentality to pursue a continuous improvement of its individual competencies and skills after completing its studies.
- Evaluates and proposes improvements to institutional organization systems and procedures related to the subject's curriculum, and in particular to procedures in the wider area of the Public Administration.