Faculty of Engineering
Agricultural & Bioresource Engineering
Applicants will normally be accepted under the general regulation of the school of Post-graduate studies.
Applicant should possess HND in Agric Engineering or related field with a minimum CGPA of 2.5 on 5 point scale and 2.0 on 4 point scale, a minimum of pass degree in Agricultural Engineering, agricultural mechanization and other engineering disciplines in ESUT or from any recognized university.
Applicants for the M.Eng degree must have normally received at least a good second classhonorr degree in Agricultural Engineering at ESUT or any recognized University.
The admission requirement for the Ph.D. program is a good M.Eng or M.Sc degree in Agricultural Engineering.
The program is by course work and a research project. The course work may include undergraduate course for students who are deficient. Every candidate is required to register full time and shall pass all the courses required for the program as presented in the list of PGD courses below.
The program is done by course work of a minimum of 27 credit hours in addition to research work to be presented in a project report. Candidates may register for full-time or part-time study.
The program is done by comprehensive research work to be embodied in a written thesis. The research work is supplemented with course-work of a minimum of 12 credit hours. The result of the research findings is to be reported in thesis to be written and presented by the Ph.D student.
Program duration for PGD is four (4) semesters and the curriculum in each program is outlined into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th semester.
The M. Eng. degree program shall last a minimum of 12 continuous calendar months for full-time and 18 months for part-time.
The Minimum duration for the Ph.D degree is 3 calendar years for regular programs and 5 year for part-time students.
Graduates of Enugu State University of Science and Technology or former ASUTECH or graduates from other approved Universities acceptable to Senate who hold a minimum of a pass degree in Chemical Engineering or a minimum of second class honour degree in a related field, are eligible to apply.
Candidates who possess HND or its equivalent with a minimum of upper credit pass in Chemical Engineering are also eligible to apply.
Candidates who possess HND with lower credit with five (5) years experience can also apply. All candidates must have five credit passes including English, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry at O' level.
Mode of Study
The program shall be by course work with research project .The course work may include undergraduate courses for students who are deficient in them.
There is provision for full-time and part-time study depending on vacancy. Every candidate is required to state clearly the required mode.
Duration of PGD Program
- Full-time: Minimum of four (4) Semesters and a maximum of six (6) Semesters
- Part-time: Minimum of six (6) Semesters and a maximum of eight (8) Semesters
Examination and Assessment of the candidate's work
- There shall be no supplementary (or re-sit) Examination.
- A candidate who fails any course has only one chance to register and retake the course at the next opportunity when the course shall become available
- The level of performance in any PG examination will be assessed according to the following grading system.
The Department of Civil Engineering offers graduate courses leading to the award of Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in Civil Engineering; Masters of Engineering (M.Eng) in Structures and Geotechnical Engineering; and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) in Structures and Geotechnical Engineering degrees.
The postgraduate program in Civil Engineering is designed to meet the growing need for Civil Engineering professionals that have the scientific and practical competence to contribute to the infrastructural development of a fast growing and increasingly modernizing society. Nigeria cannot develop into a competitive modern society without the upgrading of her infrastructure, a major part of which are Civil Engineering structures. The need for specialists and professionals competent in advanced areas of Civil Engineering analysis and design is therefore very obvious in the emerging Nigerian society. The public and private sectors of the economy need an injection of such professionals and the Department is committed to producing them.
Objectives and Scope of the program
The postgraduate program in Civil Engineering covers at present the following areas of specialization (for the M. Eng. and PhD programs that have areas of specialization) - Structural Engineering and Geotechnical Engineering. The program aims at training personnel in advanced and specialist fields within these areas of specialization. The program includes lectures, field trips and laboratory work on one hand, and guided research leading to the preparation of theses, reports and dissertations on particular topics within the student's area of specialization.
Post Graduate Diploma in Engineering (PGD) Degree
The Postgraduate Diploma in Engineering Program of the Department of Civil Engineering is geared towards meeting the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN) minimum academic standard for postgraduate diploma in Civil Engineering. The program is planned to provide a bridge for HND holders in Civil Engineering (Engineering Technologists) who desire to obtain an equivalent Bachelor's degree; B. Eng. (Civil Engineering) graduates that had third class or lower grades that desire to correct their deficiencies and possibly be eligible for M.Eng. programs; and B.Sc. graduates in allied fields that desire to make up for an equivalent B.Eng. degree in Civil Engineering. The program has a two academic years (4 Semesters) duration.
All candidates must have five Credit passes including English language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and any other Science subject at O'level.
1.Post Graduate Diploma
- HND with minimum of Upper credit in Computer/Electronics Engineering or Computer Technology from a recognized Polytechnic
- B.Sc/B.Eng degree in Computer/Electronics Engineering with a minimum of third class degree from a recognized University.
2.Master's Degree Programs
- M.Eng Program:The entry requirement for the M.Eng Degree program is at least a good second class degree with a minimum CGPA of 3.00 on a five point Scale in Computer/Electronics from a recognized degree awarding institution. Such a candidate is expected to have obtained the minimum University entry requirements.
- HND holders in Computer Engineering/ Electronics Engineering will be required to register for PGD in the first instance and on successful completion of that with good result, may proceed to the M.Eng degree program.
3.Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D)
- At least a completed Master's degree program with a minimum CGPA of 3.50 on a five point scale in Computer/Electronics Engineering, from any recognized University. The full time PhD degree program runs for 6 semesters (minimum), while the part time option runs for 8 semesters (minimum).
PhD Software Engineering
In addition to the above requirements, programming skill in at least one high-level programming language preferably C++, C# or JAVA and all M.Eng (software Engineering) course requirements apply.
To inculcate in the students the ideals and the significance of the engineering discipline in general and computer engineering in particular in national development with a view to providing the much needed quality manpower in computer engineering, instrumentation and control, information and communication technology, computer utilization, including computer maintenance and management.
Aims and Objectives
The principal objective of the Department of Computer Engineering is the training of engineers who are not only capable of meeting the challenges in the Nigerian Computer Industry but also capable of being job-creators instead of job seekers. It therefore emphasizes a sound knowledge of engineering principles coupled with high practical and innovative ability to shoulder a broad spectrum of engineering responsibilities. To this end the courses offered in the department are designed to provide the educational training and skills necessary for understanding, planning, designing, operating, and maintaining the various processes and operations involved in the modern computer industry. In addition to the teaching programs, the department encourages research and development work by the students and the academic staff. This area is taken very seriously by this department in view of our present economic problems and lack of maintenance of numerous and sophisticated machines from overseas dumped into this country. Students are therefore encouraged to develop indigenous computers and computer based solutions which are appropriate for our specific needs and environment. They are likewise encouraged to design, assemble and construct the equipment needed for their research projects. Emphasis is placed on the design and implementation of microprocessor-based and micro computer-based control systems, in order to afford students the opportunity to work with units, which approximate those used in the industry.
To keep up with advances in this discipline and ensure that these objectives are met, the department constantly updates its program. This ensures that graduates of the department are properly positioned to meet demands of modern-day cutting-edge computer technology.
Electrical & Electronics Engineering
The criteria for admission into the Postgraduate Engineering programs are as follows:
All candidates must have five Credit passes including English, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry O'Level.
1.Postgraduate Diploma, PGD
- A graduate from a recognized University with at least a pass degree or a holder of a minimum of Upper Credits in the Higher National Diploma HND, from a recognized institution. Holders of the HND at Lower Units with a minimum of give (5) years post-qualification relevant experience maybe considered.
2.Master of Engineering (M.Eng)
- A candidate with a first degree in relevant Engineering discipline form a recognized University with minimum of a Second Class Lower Division may be admitted provided the University Matriculation requirement is satisfied.
- A candidate with an Upper Credit Pass in the Postgraduate Diploma (PGD), in a relevant Engineering discipline, from a recognized University may also be admitted to a Masters Degree Program provided the University Matriculation requirements are satisfied.
3.Master of Philosophy (M.Phil)
- A candidate with a Master of Engineering Degree with a minimum CGPA of 3.3 on a 5 point scale from a recognized University may be admitted.
4.Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Degree
- A candidate who holds a Masters Degree, with a minimum of CGPA of 3.5 on a 5-point scale or average of 60%, which includes coursework and research thesis in a relevant Engineering discipline, from a recognized University may be admitted provided the University Matriculation requirements are satisfied.
Mandatory Duration of Program
A uniform duration for the program for all Universities, making allowance for minor individual university variation shall be adopted as follows:
1. Postgraduate Diploma Program
- Full-time: Minimum of four (4) semesters and a maximum of six (6) semesters.
- Part-time: Minimum of six (6) semesters and a maximum of eight (8) semesters.
2.Masters Degree Program
- Full-time: A minimum of three (3) semesters and a maximum of six (6) semesters.
- Part-time: A minimum of four (4) semesters and a maximum of eight (8) semesters.
3.Doctorate Degree Program
- Full-time: A minimum of six (6) semesters and a maximum of twelve (12) semesters.
- Part-time: A minimum of eight (8) semesters and a maximum of sixteen (16) semesters.
Mechanical & Production Engineering
The founding father of the university conceived unique university that must be closely related to the larger society, its industry and above all serve all a catalyst in the technological advancement of the people. The emphasis in the program is to develop and offer academic and professional programs leading to the award of pos graduate degree and diploma to the person who attain the standard prescribed by the university and have in all other respects satisfied the conditions and requirement laid down or other wise approved by the university.
The main objectives of postgraduate studies in the University system are to further develop the spirit of inquiry in the graduate students through training in research in an atmosphere of intellectual independence and individual creativity combined with a strong sense of team work. In pursuit of this objective, teachers and students constitute of a single team in a well defined and purposeful endeavor of human development.
Following closely to this objective is the fostering, through instruction of a deeper understanding of elementary concepts and an increasing ability to apply fundamental ideas to new problems in the graduate student. The student in the postgraduate school must realize quite early that his/her intellectual growth and sub sequent successes are directly related to the depth of his/her command of basic principles and his/her ability to apply those principles. It is true that graduate studies are usually associated with a high degree of specialization; nevertheless such specialization must be achieved in the context of extending mental horizons, producing new orientations, and developing a depth of understanding in the relevant disciplines. Within the context of the above general objectives, Postgraduate Studies must pursue two particular objectives which are both academic and practical in orientation. Thus, they must seek to:
- provide training in research for those whose future careers will lie in teaching and research at University level, and for those who many have to operate in research and development environments in the public or private sectors, e.g. in government, commercial and industrial concerns; and
- Provide both short and long-term training facilities aimed at improving and upgrading the existing and potential high level manpower needed for planning, implementing and reviewing national development plans as well as improved productivity and performance in the private sector.
Registration Requirement and Procedure
A candidate may register for full-time or a part-time program as applicable. Members of the department, including teaching staff and research follows who posses the necessary qualifications may be admitted for part-time study only.
- All applicants must satisfy that admission requirement of the school of postgraduate studies.
- Only the graduates of Enugu State University of Science and Technology or of any other approved University acceptable to senate who possess a minimum of a third class degree in Mechanical engineering or minimum of second class honours in related filed, are eligible to apply.
- Candidates who posses the H.N.D or its equivalent with a minimum of upper credit level pass in mechanical engineering are also eligible to apply.
Mode of Study
- The academic program will be by course work and a supervised project.
- The diploma program may be pursued on full or part-time basis.
Duration of the program
The program duration for the PGD is four semesters and the Curriculum in the program is outlined into first, second, third, and fourth semesters respectively.
Metallurgical & Materials Engineering
The criteria for admission into the Postgraduate Programs in Metallurgical & Materials Engineering are as follows:
All candidates must have five Credit passes including English, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry O' level.
1.Postgraduate Diploma PGD.
- A graduate from a recognized University with at least a pass degree or a holder of a minimum of upper Credits in the Higher National Diploma HND, from a recognized institution. Holders of the HND at lower Units with a minimum of five (5) years post-qualification relevant experience may be considered.
- A candidate with a first degree in a relevant Engineering discipline from a recognized University with a minimum of a second class lower division may be admitted provided the University matriculation requirement is satisfied.
- A candidate with an upper credit pass in the Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in a relevant Engineering discipline, from a recognized University may also be admitted to a Masters Degree Program provided the University matriculation requirement is satisfied.
3.Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) Degree.
- A candidate who holds a Masters degree, with a minimum CGPA of 3.50 on a 5-point scale or an average of 60% which includes coursework and research thesis in a relevant Engineering discipline, from a recognized university may be admitted provided the university matriculation requirement is satisfied.
Completion of program.
Each department shall specify all additional prerequisites for completion of the program.
Mandatory Duration of Programs.
A uniform duration for the program for all universities, making allowance for minor individual university variation shall be adopted as follows:
1.Postgraduate Diploma Program
- Full-time: Minimum of four(4) semester and a maximum of six (6) semesters.
- Part-time: Minimum of six (6) semesters and a maximum of eight semesters.
2.Masters Degree Program
- Full-time: A minimum of three (3) semesters and a maximum of six (6) semesters
- Part-time: A minimum of four(4) semesters and a maximum of eight (8) semester.
- Full-time: A minimum of six (6) semesters and a maximum of twelve 12 semesters.
- Part-time: A minimum of eight (8) semesters and a maximum of sixteen (16) semesters.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 20, 2018