Extended MSc Marketing (Pre-Masters)
Level of study: Pre-Masters
Tuition fees 2018/19:
- UK/EU – £6,500
- International – £15,500 (London) £13,750 (Birmingham)
Entry requirements: A third class, pass or ordinary degree, or equivalent
English language requirements: IELTS 6.0 with no component less than 5.5, or equivalent
Mode of study: Full-time classroom - daytime, or evening and weekend options available (subject to eligibility)
Duration: 16 months
Assessment method: Coursework
Student finance: Available
Locations: London and Birmingham
Start dates: May, September (London only)
About this course
The Extended MSc Marketing course is an academically challenging and strategically relevant program in advanced marketing study, with a particular emphasis on entrepreneurship. The course integrates the Graduate Certificate program to allow entry for students with equivalent to a standard degree (third class, pass or ordinary). This program has been designed as a bridging mechanism for UK, EU and international students to progress from undergraduate to postgraduate study at Ulster. The integrated Graduate Certificate is a preparatory course that will provide you with a solid foundation in the skills needed for progression on to the MSc Marketing program. Students, who successfully complete the four modules of the Graduate Certificate stage, namely Academic Writing, Postgraduate Study Skills, Research Methods for Postgraduate Study and International Business Environment and achieving a minimum overall average of 50%, will be in a position to progress directly to the 12 month MSc Marketing.
The MSc Marketing course is an academically challenging and strategically relevant program in advanced marketing study, with a particular emphasis on entrepreneurship. The program is distinctive in exploring leading-edge thinking from scholarly sources, alongside a syllabus rich in the practical application of marketing. The program has been designed in conjunction with senior marketing executives from industry to address the strategic importance that companies must become more marketing focused and more professional and entrepreneurial in marketing practices.
The course provides an academic insight which educates, develops and enhances the professional competence marketing and business students and will prepare you for middle management and senior appointments in marketing within public, private and social economy sectors. Students will have the opportunity to develop knowledge, skills and insight in the following areas:
- Provide an advanced study of business and management with a particular focus on Marketing
- Prepare and/or develop students for a career in marketing and business by facilitating the development of enhanced transferable skills necessary for marketing management at a variety of levels
- Develop students’ ability to apply knowledge and critical understanding of marketing and business to complex issues, both systematically and creatively, to improve entrepreneurial marketing and business practice
- Enhance students’ lifelong learning skills and personal development in order to work with self-direction and originality and to contribute to business and society at large
- Critically evaluate the application and impact of marketing theories and concepts to practical marketing problems
- Develop strong transferable skills in logical reasoning, creative thinking, effective communication and the ability to critically evaluate contemporary issues
- Acquire the skills necessary to conceive, design and implement a substantial research project
- Cultivate highly developed lifelong learning skills and an appreciation for continuing personal and professional development, through self-directed and reflective learning
Teaching methods used are designed to develop professional as well as practical skills and place emphasis on group work and experiential learning. Lectures, seminars, workshops, guest speakers, with industry-specific knowledge, directed reading, electronic resources and case studies are combined to offer a unique and rewarding learning environment.
Through the use of regular study groups, students will be encouraged to work collaboratively and learn from the experience of others’ work situations. In addition to your time in class, you will be expected to engage in approximately 30 hours of self-study time per week.
All modules are 100% assessed by coursework.
Progressing on to MSc Marketing
The pass mark for the Graduate Certificate modules is 40% in each module. Upon successfully completing the Graduate Certificate with an overall minimum average mark of 50% across all modules studied and passed, you will be guaranteed progression on to the MSc Marketing.
Careers and postgraduate opportunities
Students should be eligible to apply for marketing positions across public and private sector organizations. Additionally, the skills acquired through completing the program have inspired some to set up their own businesses.
Our Ulster University Branch Campuses are run in partnership with QA Higher Education – a UK higher education provider. All of our programmes at our Branch Campuses are validated by the University and taught by QA Higher Education and University staff.
Program taught in: