The Executive Masters in Public Administration (XMPA) reflects changes in the public sector and not for profit environment. It explores developments in service provision, at a strategic level as well as critical analysis of Government policy. It supports the Government's commitment to providing lifelong learning and the skilling, training, and development of public managers to achieve this. To this end, it engages in changing styles of public management theory and practice as well as in the evolution public administration and the requirements of managers to develop the skills and knowledge to manage cross-sectorally and inter-sectorally.
The XMPA will develop your academic and vocational skills, equipping you for the next stage of your career in the public or nfp sector and as a manager able to respond to an ever-changing and challenging environment. You'll gain relevant current knowledge, skills, and understanding to enable you to work effectively given the changes in the public sector environment and in public policy.
8 reasons to study here
- Dual award:
academic qualification from LSBU and professional award from the CMI.
LSBU Business School won the government skills framework and prospect awards for teaching.
- Summer School:
week-long International Summer School in conjunction with six other leading European universities offering comparable XMPAs where you’ll be exposed to leading academics and practitioners and network with public managers from across the continent.
- Great reputation:
We have a great reputation for this course, and the success of our alumni demonstrates this.
- Personal growth:
develop transferable skills in leadership, communication, teamwork, innovation, creativity, resilience, dealing with ambiguity, persuasive advocacy, problem-solving and critical thinking.
Our graduates typically go on to more senior roles in their organization or take up positions delivering public services.
- Flexible delivery modes:
Designed to suit busy senior professionals - flexible delivery on a Thursday afternoon and evening.
Who is this course for?
- Aimed at middle and senior managers
- Looking to develop and take the next step in their career
- looking for flexible study options with experienced and respected academic staff -
The teaching team on the Executive MPA was recently short-listed for the Prospects Postgraduate Awards in the category of 'best teaching team' by our students, and received a judge's commendation, as a runner-up out of 150 teams. These awards celebrate excellence and development in postgraduate education. Our MPA programme has also been selected as an approved supplier by the Government Procurement Service as part of the skills framework.
Key course information - ordered by mode
|Full-time||12 months||September||Southwark Campus|
|Part-time||30 months||September||Southwark Campus|
- Leadership, Public Management, and Governance
- Public Policy and the Managerial Environment
- Managing through Critical Research
- Integrative Management and Change
- Contemporary Issues for Public Managers
Plus two of the following optional modules:
- Managing Within a Regulatory Framework
- Equality and Diversity in the Workforce
- Policy Making in Action
- Strategic Management in the Public and Not for Profit Sectors
- Public Sector Entrepreneurship
- The Practice of Management Consulting in the Public Sector
- Social Enterprise
- Law and Ethics for Health Care Managers
- Leadership in Health Services
- International Policy and Governance
- Current Quality Issues in Health Service Management
- Commissioning and Procurement in Health and Social Services
- International Management and Change in Public Services
- Ethical Leadership in International Public Services
Assessment is by coursework, assignments, presentations and case studies. There are no formal examinations on this course and this is a deliberate decision.
Diploma in Management Studies
If you hold a Diploma in Management Studies you'll be accredited with 60-course credits and study the following modules:
- Leadership, public management, and governance
- Public policy and the managerial environment
- Managing through critical research
You'll also be required to attend the residential weekend and the International Summer School.
The course is aimed at senior managers (and in this respect differs from the Master of Public Administration which is aimed at overseas students and those wanting to enter a career in public and social sectors). This course enables further career enhancement and development to more strategic levels, providing career sustainability and employability.
Former students have gone into roles as:
- Director of Health and Social Care
- Strategic Director of Children and Adult Services
- Assistant Director of Education and Training.
We are the University of the Year for Graduate Employment - The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018.
At LSBU, we want to set you up for a successful career. During your studies – and for two years after you graduate – you’ll have access to our Employability Service, which includes:
- An online board where you can see a wide range of placements: part-time, full-time or voluntary. You can also drop in to see our Job Shop advisers, who are always available to help you take the next step in your search.
- Our Careers Gym offering group workshops on CVs, interview techniques and finding work experience, as well as regular presentations from employers across a range of sectors.
Our Student Enterprise team can also help you start your own business and develop valuable entrepreneurial skills.
Teaching and learning
The course is taught using a variety of methods including individual discussions and tutorials, case study analysis, group and individual presentations, and individual logs.
At induction, you'll receive support and advice from the Study Skills section, the Employability Unit, the IT training section and the Information Skills Advisor.
- Honors degree or equivalent, 2.2 grade, or above, and a minimum of three years managerial experience, usually but not exclusively, in the public sector or a duly recognized post-graduate diploma and a minimum of three years managerial experience, usually but not exclusively, in the public sector.
- Mature candidates who are not able to offer any of the above may be considered, but must have relevant professional experience and at least five years managerial experience in the public sector, and be able to demonstrate an ability to achieve the required standard.
- Exceptionally candidates who do not have public sector managerial experience but have relevant managerial experience and relevant academic or professional qualifications may be considered.
- All candidates must have competence in English at IELTS level 6.5.
All modules are subject to change by the university and may differ from the modules you are offered during your studies.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 8, 2018