The study programme in European Studies will qualify students for independent professional and analytical work in the field of European affairs at the national and the European levels. The programme integrates several disciplines of European Studies: Political Science (in particular International Relations and Comparative Politics), Economics, Law, Social Sciences (in particular with regards to methodological capabilities) and Communication (emphasising the importance of two expert foreign languages) with their application to central issues of European integration (EU) and broader construction of Europe.
The programme “European Studies“ is Joint Degree study programme with the Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia.
The study programme in European Studies will qualify students for employment opportunities in EU institutions and other (European) international organisations, in the national governments, especially Ministries of Foreign Affairs, Ministries of European Affairs, Ministries for Economic and Social Development; the career opportunities are also at the regional level (of municipalities and cities), in non-governmental organizations, the media, and political parties; expertise in the field of the EU processes and policies and internal market make the graduates employable also in business sector within and outside the EU.
Knowledge and understanding
- Displays basic knowledge and understanding of the scientific field of study (or studies), identifying appropriate methodologies for problem solving, as systematic and creative manner, which provides a basis or opportunity for originality in developing and / or application of autonomous ideas in the context of the research;
- Ability to identify enlarged and deepened knowledge;
- Shows the level of knowledge and competence in one or more specific scientific fields;
- Have knowledge of one or more subject areas, in certain scientific fields, based on the most renowned international research in this scientific field.
Applying knowledge and understanding
- Ability to critically, independently and creatively solve problems with a certain originality in new or unfamiliar environments in a multidisciplinary context, related to the field of study.
- Ability to synthesize and integrate knowledge;
- Ability to deal with issues systematically and creatively, solid estimate even with incomplete or limited information, but that include personal, social and ethical responsibilities in the application of acquired knowledge and assessment;
- Ability to select scientific theories, methodologies, tools and general skills in the subject areas, and installation of new analyzes and solutions on a scientific basis.
- Ability to exchange findings and suggestions with argumentation and rationally bolstering them with both professional and unskilled persons, clearly and unambiguously;
- Taking considerable responsibility in shared outcomes; running and initiating activities.
- Ability to recognize personal needs for further knowledge and skills for independent action in acquiring the knowledge and new skills in the framework of society;
- Ability to taking responsibility for further professional development and perfection.
List of courses
- EU policies (9.0 ECTS)
- EU in global economy (6.0 ECTS)
- Free elective course 1 (6.0 ECTS)
- Foreign Language - elective course 1 (6.0 ECTS)
- Professional Foreign Language 1 (3.0 ECTS)
- European Union Law (6.0 ECTS)
- Theories of European Integration (9.0 ECTS)
- Professional Foreign Language 2 (3.0 ECTS)
- Free elective course 2 (6.0 ECTS)
- Foreign Language - elective course 2 (6.0 ECTS)
- Contemporary Issues of the European Union as a global actor (6.0 ECTS)
- Research Seminar – Thesis Preparation (9.0 ECTS)
- Practical work (3.0 ECTS)
- Elective course 1 (6.0 ECTS)
- Elective course 2 (6.0 ECTS)
- Master Thesis (30.0 ECTS)
This school offers programs in: