EMOTION is an Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree cofounded by Erasmus+ Program of the European Union.
EMOTION is a two-year 120 ECTS, English-taught master awarding a double-degree focused on pharmaceutical and cosmetic R&D and enrolls students with a scientific background (e.g. pharmacy, chemistry, medicine, biology or biotechnology).
It is offered by the University of Piemonte Orientale (UPO; Italy), the University Miguel Hernández (UMH; Spain), the University of Namur (UNAMUR; Belgium), and Humboldt University (HU; Germany) via a collaboration with Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin. Each of the four Universities contributes to its field of excellence with complementary expertise that covers the main aspects of this interdisciplinary field.
EMOTION trains the next generation of R&D leaders in the dermatological and derma-cosmetic field, but at the same time provides sufficient know-how to allow graduates to work in other pharmaceutical and cosmetic R&D sectors. Graduates will work in pharmaceutical industries or in cosmetic industries carrying out R&D programs. Both fields are economically important and are expanding, as there is a constant need for innovation in drugs and cosmetics. Health and well-being, including healthy aging, are priorities in the modern world. Importantly, the master intends to stimulate students towards entrepreneurship, and thereby develop their own businesses. The aggregate market for medicines and cosmetics in the world is over two trillion euros, 10% of which is solely for skin disorders, demonstrating excellent prospects for employment, entrepreneurship and personal gratifications.
The Master will be structured in three one-semester long teaching modules in two of the three institutions, allowing for students to choose in the third semester whether their intellectual inclination is towards preclinical or clinical research and in three thematic workshops focused on transferable skills. In the last semester, a personalized program will bring the student to perform her/his thesis work either in industry or in academia.
A generous number of scholarships, for both European and non-European citizens, are provided by the European Commission. Students that will not be eligible for the scholarships will nonetheless be allowed to participate in the program provided they meet the merit requirements.
EMOTION trains to become a professional in the pharmaceutical or cosmetic field, both in the private or public sector.
Graduates will be employed in the following fields, relating to pharmaceuticals or cosmetics:
- Quality Assurance;
- Regulatory Affairs;
- Clinical Research;
- Market Access or Marketing;
- Company Management.
Admission to EMOTION requires:
- A Bachelor degree or higher from a recognized academic higher education institution (equivalent to a European undergraduate degree of 180 ECTS – 6 semesters) in a field related to the EMOTION area (for example Pharmacy, Medicine, Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Genetics, Molecular Biology). The grade average of the previous study should prove a high qualification of the applicant.
- The proof of English proficiency documented by an internationally recognized certificate (at least level B2).*
Accepted certificates are:
- IELTS (academic test): minimum average score of 6.5
- TOEFL (paper-based): 560
- TOEFL (Internet-based, or iBT): 88
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency (CPE), Grades A, B, or C
- Certificate in Advanced English (CAE), Grades A, B, or C
- Cambridge First Certificate, Grade A or B
These are the only tests accepted as proofs of English proficiency. Any other type of diplomas is not considered as valid proof of English proficiency.
Candidates are responsible to meet the visa requirements for the countries in which each host institution is located, although the Masters’ secretariat will provide advice.