Would you like to be a part of an internationally renowned master program and educated in the academic field of lexicography?
Then what about becoming a student of the elite study program European Master in Lexicography (EMLex), an Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree that offers a highly valuable and worldwide unique education? You will be able to study at different European universities, to establish international academic contacts and to increase your professional opportunities tremendously.
Graduates of the EMLex are highly qualified international experts in research, education, culture, linguistics and information management.
The European Master in Lexicography (EMLex) is an international Master’s degree program (120 ECTS) that has been offered since 2009. Since 2016 the EMLex can be concluded with an Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree. It includes a joint summer semester abroad for all students in cooperation with the following universities and institutions:
- Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg
- Károli Gáspár Református Egyetem (Budapest)
- Uniwersytet Śląski w Katowicach (Kattowitz)
- Université de Lorraine
- Universidade do Minho
- Universita degli Studi Roma Tre
- Universidade de Santiago de Compostela
- Stellenbosch University
- Universität Hildesheim
- Institut für Deutsche Sprache Mannheim
- University of Texas at Austin
- Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul
- Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University
Erasmus Mundus Association
What is the structure of the Erasmus Mundus EMLex master program?
The EMLex is a four-semester program (120 ECTS) which covers the key areas of lexicography and dictionary research.
1st semester: Basic modules conveying the basics of lexicography and linguistics as well as various soft skills.
2nd semester: Advanced modules covering metalexicography, the history of lexicography, learner lexicography, dictionary use, specialized lexicography and terminology, computational lexicography, the use of dictionaries in translation, lexicology and etymology, dictionary design and dictionary writing.
3rd semester: Specialized modules. During this stage, students select a topic for their master thesis and do an internship lasting several weeks.
4th semester: Preparation of the Master’s thesis.
What about your career opportunities after you have finished the EMLex program?
Lexicographers are able to work e.g. in the following fields:
- data management
- information systems
- communication services
- online dictionaries
- language education
- cross-cultural communication
How, when and where can you apply for the EMLex program?
- You have to make sure that you meet different requirements before applying. Be aware that these requirements can differ from one university to another. Please have a look at the respective university websites.
- In general, the application period for every year lasts from 1 November until 1 March of the following year (scholarship applicants), respectively 15 April of the following year (self-funding applicants). Please note the announcements on our website.
Submitting your application:
- If you fulfill all the requirements, please send your complete application within the application period.
This project has been funded with support from the European Commission. This publication [communication] reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.
Program taught in: