MAM is a two-year (120 ECTS) Master Degree offered by a consortium of 5 partners (in Russia, France, Germany, Italy and Spain) whose aim is to provide students with extensive training in Mathematical Analysis and Modelling with applications in science and engineering while receiving a cross intercultural education.
The theoretical and the numerical treatment of mathematical models are becoming more and more important in natural sciences and engineering sciences, but also in biology, chemistry, environmental sciences and more recently medical science. This growing importance leads many organizations to hire applied mathematicians:
- Academic institutions and research institutes
- Aerospace and transportation equipment manufacturers or service providers
- Analytics and forecasting organizations
- Chemical or pharmaceutical manufacturers
- Communications services providers
- Computer information and software firms; established or start-ups
- Consumer products companies
- Energy systems firms
- Electronics and computer manufacturers
- Engineering research organizations
- Financial service and investment management firms
- Government labs, research offices and agencies
- Insurance companies
- Medical device companies
- Producers of petroleum and petroleum products
The MAM degree proposes a high-quality training to satisfy the need for experts who can apply rigorous mathematical models and computational techniques to solve problems and to analyse complex systems in all scientific fields and in the business world.
The consortium includes the main five universities partners, three associate partners and an external evaluator.
Partnership composition of the MAM consortium
The MAM consortium meets the requirements of the call with a total number of five main partner institutions representing four Programme Countries and one Partner Country:
- Tomsk State University (TSU) is a public research university created in 1888 with 23 faculties and institutes. The Faculty of Mathematics and Mechanics (FMM) at TSU has wide teaching experience of mathematical disciplines.
- University of Seville (US) is the third Spanish university in the number of students and the first in Andalusia, as well as one of the oldest, with more than 500 years of existence. It is one of the best rated Spanish Universities in Mathematics in the most important international rankings. The Faculty of Mathematics, with its extensive teaching experience, is responsible for training at the bachelor’s degree and master level. A sign of this strength in Mathematics is the creation of the Mathematics Institute of the University of Seville (IMUS) by the Regional Government of Andalusia in 2007. The US is the coordinator of the project.
- University of Rouen Normandy (URN) is a comprehensive university in France welcoming more than 30 000 students in 175 diplomas from Bachelor to PhD. The Department of Mathematics at the URN provides advanced training from the baccalaureate to the master as well as PhD.
- The University of Naples Federico II (UniNa) was established in 1224. The university offers courses in all academic disciplines, leading to circa one hundred fifty graduate-level degrees. The Department of Mathematics and Applications "Renato Caccioppoli" collects the mathematicians coming from the Institute of Mathematics and the Engineering Department. The research office involves several fields of mathematics and its applications.
- University of Augsburg (UA) was founded in 1970. It is one of the new, modern universities in Bavaria, with approximately 20,000 students split into eight faculties. The department of mathematics was founded 26 years ago. Its research and teaching were focussed around classical and modern areas in pure and applied mathematics, with an emphasis also on the education of future teachers.
The associate partners
- University of the Philippines (UP), is the main university of the country. The biggest campus (UP Diliman) is located in Quezon City with the most important faculties including mathematics where research is very good and of international level.
- The Federal University of Paraiba, Joao Pessoa (UFPB) is a Brazilian public university established in 1955 with strong training and research in Mathematics.
- Southeast Asian Mathematical Society (SEAMS), is a non-stock, non-profit mathematical organisation that promotes the advancement of mathematical science in Southeast Asia.
The external evaluator
- Unione Matematica Italiana (UMI) is an organization affiliated with the European Mathematical Society, whose objective is to monitor, promote and disseminate the development of Mathematical Sciences and their applications."
MAM programme lasts for two years (120 ECTS), divided into four semesters.
Students can access the program through any of the four programme country partner universities (student’s home university), where they will receive a common formation and perform their first mobility. The third semester is spent in another programme country partner university (student’s host university and second mobility) according to the professional project of the students. Finally, the fourth semester is devoted to the master’s thesis with an internship opportunity in the company, the industry of services and the opportunity to go to Tomsk State University.
Each student has two supervisors, one from the home university and the other one from the host university, and the thesis defence takes place at one of these two universities.
The official language of the programme is English, but students have the possibility to learn local languages by attending language courses at partner universities.
Successful students will be awarded a Double Master Degree, issued by the home and the host universities, along with a Diploma Supplement to facilitate the recognition of their formation. They will also receive an additional certificate with the logo of all the consortium institutions.
Candidates for the MAM EMJMD must hold:
- A university qualification corresponding to a recognised Bachelor's Degree (BS, BSc, SB or a degree at the same level of an academic Bachelor's Degree according to the Bologna framework) in Mathematics, or in Physics with a good background in Mathematics, or in Engineering with a large background in Mathematics and Physics. As stated in the Selection Process, the adequation of the candidates’ background will be evaluated in an interview and used as a renormalization factor on the points obtained in the assessment of their merits by the Admission Committee.
- Language skills: English, candidates from countries where English is not one of the official languages, must demonstrate their knowledge of English by proving that they have received their education in English or with a certified language level equivalent to B2 using the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) TOEFL test: minimum score 78 (210 computer-based/547 paper-based test), IELTS test: minimum score 6.0, at least 5.7 on each sub-score (Academic test and not the General one), Cambridge International Examinations: FCE level B2 with minimum score 72. Only students who had their bachelor education in Canada, USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand, and Australia do not need to send in an English language test.
- Commitment in writing to full-time study for the two-year period of the Master's Course.
About the School
TSU is the oldest university in Russian Asia, in Siberia, that was founded in 1878 in Tomsk, Russia. It was the First Siberian Imperial University.