The Double Master’s Programme in European Studies gives students the opportunity to benefit from the outstanding expertise of two top-ranking universities. Participants of the programme study at each university for one year and graduate with two master’s degrees from the Faculty of Management, Economics and Social Sciences, University of Cologne, and the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Maastricht University.
The Double Master is an ambitious research-based and interdisciplinary programme which has a strong focus on the European Union, its institutions and policies. Students develop an in-depth understanding of the EU and of the workings of politics and society in an integrated Europe. The programme equips graduates with excellent methodological skills, enabling them to operate at an advanced level in an international research environment.
During their year abroad, students will be exposed to an international environment that allows them to improve their intercultural and language skills. Students admitted to the Double Master’s Programme pursue a Research Master in European Studies at Maastricht University in their first year and complete modules of the Master of Arts in Political Science at the University of Cologne in their second year.
The programme is based on the mutual recognition of credit points by both universities. Students attend a colloquium and write their master’s thesis during their year in Cologne. The thesis is jointly supervised by professors at both universities.
In cooperation with Maastricht University
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASoS) has approx. 1,800 students and is one of the six faculties at Maastricht University. Its educational approach is based on the principle of Problem-Based Learning (PBL). The Faculty has a strong international orientation, evidenced by its international student body and its extensive research. The Faculty has an excellent location in the centre of Maastricht.
- Programme duration: 4 semesters, full-time
- Programme start: Beginning of September in Maastricht
- Degrees awarded: Research Master in European Studies by Maastricht University and Master of Arts in Political Science by the University of Cologne
- Language of instruction: English
- Fees: Students pay tuition fees at Maastricht University during their first year of studies (approx. €1,980 for EU applicants; for more details on the tuition fee, please see the website of Maastricht University) and a semester contribution at the University of Cologne (approx. €260 per term, which includes a student travel card which is valid on all public transport in North Rhine-Westphalia).
Graduates of this double degree will be well prepared for the demands of an international employment market in European Studies, which increasingly expects applicants to have studied in more than one country. Graduates of the programme are particularly well qualified for a career in the institutions of the European Union, other areas of public administration or international companies. The research-oriented nature of the degree also enables graduates to move on to doctoral research, or to research-related work in think tanks or NGOs.
These career perspectives require familiarity with different academic cultures, and thus graduates with a double degree will be better prepared for these kinds of positions than most of their peers with degrees from a single university.
- An excellent bachelor’s degree in the Humanities or Social Sciences with strong proficiency in Political Science (30 ECTS). Furthermore a minimum of further 12 ECTS in Political Science or in Methodology and Empirical Social Research
- Bachelor final grade equivalent to at least 2.7 (German grading system)
- English at level C1 (CEFR) or equivalent (TOEFL min. ibt 100; IELTS min. 7.0; Cambridge CAE (B) or CPE (C)). Please note that the Maastricht University also requires minimum scores in writing. IELTS: minimum score overall 7.0, minimum score writing 7.0; TOEFL ibt: minimum score overall 100, minimum score writing 28.
- Very good intercultural and social skills
- Relevant practical experience is desirable
The online application for the Double Master’s Programme in European Studies takes place both through Maastricht University and the University of Cologne. Please note the different application deadlines at the two universities.
At the University of Cologne:
- For applicants with a German bachelor's degree or a bachelor's degree from Maastricht University: 15 May 2017
- For applicants who have not obtained their bachelor’s degree in Germany or at Maastricht University: 1 May 2017
At Maastricht University:
- For EU applicants: 1 June 2017
- For non-EU applicants: 1 May 2017
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 27, 2017