This accredited masters course is for individuals wishing to further their careers in project management or consultancy. In today's business environment, the skills of the project manager have never been more in demand. Organisations, businesses and governments are becoming increasingly aware of the strategic importance of effective project management for gaining a competitive advantage.
A masters degree in the rapidly growing area of project management will help develop skills that are highly sought-after globally in almost every sector.
This course is particularly relevant for professionals who wish to be able to run complex projects with a range of stakeholders, managing all phases to time and to budget.
This course is underpinned by the core competencies at the heart of the Association of Project Managers (APM), so you can be sure that what you learn is contemporary, relevant, and directly applicable in the workplace.
Our aim is to help you develop a range of technical skills that will be complemented by transferable soft skills so that you develop as an independent learner and thinker who is comfortable tackling the two key ideas in modern Business Project Management: choosing the right project and doing the project right. This means you'll be able to identify and select projects that are going to benefit an organisation, and then deliver them within the scope required, to the budget and on schedule. With that skill set, it isn't hard to see why graduates from this course are in high demand.
The course also provides professional training to gain a relevant project management certification examination, for instance PRINCE2. The course also provides further opportunities to gain certification in the following areas for a discounted rate via the university:
- PRINCE2® Foundation
- PRINCE2® Practitioner
- APM Introductory Certificate (IC)
- MSP® (Managing Successful Programmes) Foundation
- MSP® (Managing Successful Programmes) Practitioner
- MoP® (Management of Portfolio) Foundation
- MoV® (Management of Value) Foundation
- M_o_R® (Management of Risk) Foundation
- P3O® (Portfolio, Programme and Project Office) Foundation
- AgilePM Foundation
- PPS (Programme and Project Sponsorship)
- Fundamentals of PRINCE2 project management
- Business case development
- Operational research and systems approaches
- Project: Value, innovation and change
- Fundamentals of AGILE project management
- Quality standards and management
- Project risk management
- Research methods
A project manager plays a key role in helping businesses introduce change through the development of a new product, process or service. In order to succeed, you'll need to be highly adaptable and able to work in areas as diverse as IT, health services and education, local and national government, media and sport and leisure.
Practical application enhances skill set
This course is all about the practical application of theory. It comes to life through case studies and examples of a variety of businesses and organisations across the world, rather than existing only in the dusty pages of a textbook. This practical element, along with the understanding of key concepts and principles of identified approaches, enhances your professional competency and gives you the platform to work either in direct control of projects or in a research-based capacity looking at improving project processes, integrating projects with the business environment.
We're committed to helping you develop your employability. That commitment means that we've worked hard to make the course relevant to the industry that awaits you, but in a competitive marketplace, we're also able to help you go even further.
In addition, you'll have the opportunity to publish research dissertations and gain project management experience, which can only add to your employability.
- APM Accredited
We expect you to have some practical experience in business, but the precise amount will vary on how relevant your Bachelors degree is to Business Project Management.
- A bachelor's degree in a relevant subject (e.g. business, business analytics, management science, economics or finance) or at least 2:2 (honours) or Bachelor degree equivalent to UK Second Class Honours Lower Division and at least two years' experience working in business.
- A bachelor's degree in a non-relevant subject of at least 2:2 (honours) standard, and at least five years' experience working in business.
- We are happy to consider other qualifications combined with appropriate experience that are equivalent to the amounts outlined above.
- You'll be expected to have first-hand appreciation of general business processes, business planning cycles and the general business environment. We expect you to have been involved in business decision making at an operational level, and to have supported strategy development at a departmental level. You'll also have some quantitative business skills and be familiar with handling and manipulating quantitative data which could have been acquired either through a relevant bachelor degree or via five years' work experience.
The quantitative business skills we are looking for from you are:
- The ability to use appropriate ICT to investigate, analyse and summarise numerical data.
- A knowledge of the standard mathematical models used to support decision making in an area of business activity such as accounting, finance, forecasting, investment, risk analysis, production planning, inventory control etc.
- The ability to produce and interpret reports produced in support of quantitative decision making in an area of business such as those listed in the bullet point above
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 31, 2016