The Master programme mainly targets mid-level careers working on social protection topics who would like to advance their skills in designing, managing and reforming social protection systems. The blend of face-to-face and online learning gives professionals the opportunity to exclusively dedicate time for studying and network-building during the first semester and to combine studying with some professional engagement during the second and third semester. Upon successful completion, students are awarded the Master of Arts degree.
Why study with us?
Next to the fact that the Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg (H-BRS) is a dynamic and research-driven university and that the Department of Social Security is an interdisciplinary team with great passion for the topic, there are several reasons for studying with us.
- We offer flexible learning, combining face-to-face and distance learning phases, supported by an Internet-based teaching and learning platform
- We work in small groups with plenty of opportunities for learning and exchange among peers
- We collaborate with a network of experienced and internationally renowned practitioners and academics in social protection
- We are situated in an interesting region with many social protection actors
- We are within a stone’s throw of Cologne and Bonn, which are not only cities with lots of international flairs but also with great cultural and recreational offers
The Master’s degree programme offers an interdisciplinary and in-depth study of social protection systems. Graduates of the degree programme will be able to design “smart” systems, systems that can be sustainably financed while being effective and flexible. They will also be able to contribute towards optimizing and, if necessary, reorganizing existing social protection systems, adapting systems to future demographic, economic and social challenges.
- Pre-Courses. August - September. Online + On-Campus
- 1st Semester. September - February. Face-to-face in Germany.
- 2nd Semester. March - August. Online + 2-week summer school.
- 3rd Semester. September - February. Online.
To be admitted to the degree programme, students are required to provide evidence of:
- Having acquired a bachelor’s degree from a relevant academic field such as economics, political sciences, sociology, international relations, business administration, health studies, public policy, law etc.
- Being proficient in English, with a minimum level of560 pbt / 220 cbt / 83 ibt (Toefl test) or equivalent, unless they are a native speaker or conducted their previous studies in English
This Master programme offers 90 ECTS, requiring students to come with a Bachelor degree of 210 ECTS. Applicants with a Bachelor degree of 180 ECTS are still encouraged to apply as additional credits can be awarded for relevant practical experience, additional online courses or extra-curricular activities.
Interested applicants should fill in an online application form, no later than March 31, 2017, uploading:
- A motivation letter
- A recent copy of their CV in table form
- Copies of their degrees and transcripts (translated into English if the language is neither English nor German)
- A letter confirming the length and main activities of their work experience in social protection
- Proof of proficiency in English
Candidates who meet our eligibility criteria will be contacted for a phone interview. The examination committee decides on the award of places on a rolling basis and informs the applicants in a timely manner. For a definitive offer of a place of study, successful applicants are required to send in certified copies of the original degrees and certifications.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 19, 2018