This Advanced Master in Quantitative Finance offers its prospective students an advanced education. Its curriculum consists of a combination of finance, statistics, econometrics, programming, and mathematics. This master offers full coverage of financial disciplines such as asset and derivative pricing numerical methods and programming skills. It is oriented to an audience with a quantitative background either by recent education or
by professional experience.
- September 2008 was a turning point in the financial sector, driving it towards new horizons. A shift of paradigm and the emergence of new markets is leading to a radical change in the rules of the game.
- Complexity is reaching unprecedented levels.
- And competitiveness is increasing.
- In this context, financial decision making needs quantitative innovation.
- Classical modeling techniques are not top performers any longer.
- New quantitative techniques are needed.
- Models based on statistics and financial reality.
- Cutting edge models and methodologies.
- And last, the financial sector needs
- Enroll in a Master designed for the new world.
- Join a new generation of quants.
- Follow courses that are not available in other programs.
- Get new insights into traditional methodologies.
- Dive into all the essential theories...
- ...with an emphasis on practice and programming.
- Learn from the best scholars and practitioners.
- You choose your specialization.
- Get ready for the market.
- Study in Brussels, in the heart of Europe.
The main objective of this Master is to train a different generation of quants. You will learn:
- Cutting-edge knowledge in quantitative finance and the methodology of applying this knowledge to real-world problems
- You will not only be exposed to up-to-date models but will also understand their advantages and
- limitations, both in theory and in practice.
By the end of the program you will be able to:
- Become an analyst and/or manager in quant groups
- Price equity and bonds
- Construct and programming structured products
- Perform tail risk analysis
- Extract information from massive databases
- Understand and trading complex derivative products such as, for instance, volatility derivatives
This Master is a one-year, full-time day courses (60 ECTS). To ensure optimal quality of learning, preference is given to smaller size classes. Selection is made on the basis of an application form and an interview. The teaching methodology depends on the course contents and it will be adapted to fit the needs and the level of
The Advanced Master in Quantitative Finance seeks
- The highest caliber students
- Students with outstanding academic background, intellectual curiosity, and discipline needed to succeed in a very demanding environment
- Candidates with at least a graduate degree or equivalent. This degree should be but not exclusively in economics, finance, mathematics, physics, chemistry or engineering
- Professionals in the financial area with experience in quantitative activities.
Term 1 provides the technical background, with courses on probability, stochastic calculus, estimation theory and numerical methods, simulation and programming.
Term 2 builds the theoretical foundations of asset pricing and derivatives pricing. Furthermore, C++ programming is started and its application in finance.
In Term 3, more specialised courses are taught in the field of Fixed Income, Financial Econometrics, Risk Management and Asset Pricing Practice.
Term 4 provides courses on advanced and specialised topics, such as Credit risk, Financial Big Data, Derivatives Pricing Practice and Product Structuring.
The final term (Term 5), lasting three months and ending in August, is devoted to the final thesis or to a corporate internship, based on the participant’s performance over the year.
Most courses are hands-on and you will learn by doing through multiple (computer) assignments. For the computer assignments you will use the popular Python and C++ programming languages.
The career service assists with finding an internship. In previous years, students have found internships in Belgium and abroad in places ranging from high-quality local players such as ING, Bel us, BNP Paribas Fortis, GDF Suez, the European Commission to a Los-Angeles based hedge fund. This 3-month hands-on internship at a top-quality institution will often serve as a starting point to a full-time position.
In recent years over 80% of the graduates had found a job before graduating.
Eligible applicants must hold either:
- A master degree (5 years of study)
- A post-graduate degree
- A bachelor degree with one to three years of work experience
- Other degrees equivalent to the above (please consult us)
- Proficiency in English
Program taught in: