Who We Are
St. Mary’s University, as a Catholic Marianist University, fosters the formation of people in faith and educates leaders for the common good through community, integrated liberal arts and professional education, and academic excellence.
Founded in 1852 by Marianist brothers and priests, St. Mary's is the first institution of higher learning in San Antonio and the oldest Catholic university in Texas and the Southwest. Personal attention and powerful academic programs have made St. Mary’s a nationally recognized liberal arts institution.
The University provides a Catholic education experience that evokes academic excellence while integrating liberal studies, professional preparation and ethical commitment. St. Mary’s full-time faculty members, 94 percent of whom hold doctoral or terminal degrees in their fields, are committed to student success in and out of the classroom. St. Mary’s offers 75 programs, including two doctoral and two law programs. With a diverse student population of about 3,800 of all faiths and backgrounds, the student/faculty ratio of 12-to-1 permits small classes and promotes active learning.
St. Mary's University delivers a high quality education with a curriculum that emphasizes using one's knowledge to make a difference. With values rooted in respect, honesty, listening and working toward mutually beneficial ends, our collaborative community prepares St. Mary's graduates to lead their organizations with integrity and compassion.”
Innovative Programs, Exceptional Outcomes
- Named among the nation's "Best Business Schools" by Princeton Review for an MBA and a "Top Graduate School" with a ranking of #25 in the nation for video game design.
- Ranked #21 for regional universities in the West by U.S. News and World Report.
- Recognized as one of "America's Top College" for return on investment by Forbes.
- Ranked #20 in the nation for master's universities that contribute to the public good by Washington Monthly.
- Greehey MBA: Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
- Counseling & Human Services: Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) and Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE)
- Education: Texas State Board for Educator Certification
- Engineering: Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET
This school offers programs in: