The University of Leeds Faculty of Biological Sciences is one of the leading life sciences faculties in the UK, attracting outstanding Masters students from around the world.
Research excellence underpins our training and interdisciplinarity is very important; students benefit from interactions not only within the UK, but with academic communities around the globe. Ours is an extremely vibrant and dynamic environment, with supervision and teaching by top researchers, many world-class experts, who bring the latest cutting-edge research to students learning.
Our position amongst the UK elite for bioscience research was confirmed in the results of the recent Research Excellence Framework (REF) where we were ranked as 6th in the country for research impact, with 80% of research activity rated as either world-leading or internationally excellent.
To achieve excellence in education and research, and to secure a position in the top 10 life sciences faculties in the UK for both research and student experience.
To pursue our vision, we have identified the following priorities:
- Fostering future research activity aligned with the 'grand challenge' areas of translational biomedicine and sustainability in order to achieve international excellence in research
- Embedding a world-class student education experience which emphasises research-led teaching and employability.
We take pride in our teaching and we are committed to providing students with the very best student experience through research-led teaching and excellent academic support. We consistently perform well in the National Student Survey and our commitment to student education has been recognised through external awards to students through schemes such as Science Engineering and Technology (SET) awards and to staff in National Lecturer awards.
Significant investments in our infrastructure contribute to our dynamic and vibrant research environment offering excellent opportunities for leading edge research focused around key areas. These include agriculture, animal and plant sciences, ecology and evolution, membrane biology, cardiovascular research, sports and exercise science, structural molecular biology, immunology, virology, microbiology, neurosciences and tissue engineering.
RAE 2008 feedback noted that "virtually all outputs were assessed as being recognized internationally, with many (60%) being internationally excellent or world-leading" in quality.
Our research grant portfolio is derived from a range of sources including charities, research councils, the European Union and industry.
We bring together people from government, business, healthcare and academic to deliver benefits to wider society; this has helped to generate over 20 successful spin-off commercial companies.
Why choose to study bioscience at Leeds?
The courses offer:
- exciting contemporary topics in the areas of human disease, bioinformatics, biotechnology and plant science
- teaching delivered by top researchers, many world-class experts, who bring the latest cutting-edge research to their teaching and therefore, to your learning
- excellent career development opportunities with graduates moving into a wide range of exciting and challenging careers
- training in generic research skills such as scientific writing, graphics and data presentation, bioethics, bioenterprise and intellectual property rights
- opportunities to work on cutting-edge topics with leading researchers during your research project
- the opportunity to combine theoretical disciplines with ‘hands-on’ practical laboratory skills
- access to first-class teaching and research facilities
- the chance to study in a Faculty ranked 4th in the UK for research in biological sciences by the leading scientific journal ‘Nature’ based on the numbers of staff producing research that was “world leading" or "internationally excellent"
- access to international speakers from around the world through attendance at Faculty research seminar programmes
- opportunities to benefit from our strong employer connections supported by our employer engagement officer, including regular speakers from industry, government and scientific organisations.
- a flexible approach to suit individual needs
- outstanding personal development opportunities including our distinctive Leeds for Life scheme
- excellent preparation for a research degree
- membership of one the main centres for postgraduate teaching in the country, with around 7,800 postgraduate students from all over the UK and another 100 countries
- all the facilities and lifestyle opportunities of a major international university
This school offers programs in: