Koç University is the leading research and liberal arts university in Istanbul, Turkey. Recognized globally for facilitating cutting edge research in its full collection of Colleges, including Administrative Sciences & Economics, Engineering, Natural Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Law and Medicine, Koç University, in the twenty years since its establishment, has distinguished itself with its notable contributions to the elevation of education, knowledge and service both domestically and beyond.
With its strong academic structure, research opportunities, international achievements, vivid social environment and wide range of job opportunities upon graduation, Koç University has been the focus of attention. Koç University's commitment to excellence and its well-resourced programs attract prestigious international academicians.
Highlights about Koç University
- Low student-faculty ratio (10 to 1)
- Over 96% of the classes taught in English
- 77 laboratories
- 16 Research Centers, 3 Research and Education Forums
- More than 300 Publications in the most prestigious international journals
- The leader in research and innovation (with the highest number of National Grants)
- 500 outsourced active research projects
- 16 of the 90 members of the Turkish Academy of Sciences are from Koç University
- 95% of our Faculty have advanced degrees from top-tier US and European institutions and have implemented parallel pedagogical paradigms at Koc University
- Scholarships for high caliber students
- More than 200 university partners globally for student exchange and research collaboration
- 24/7 Open Library - 220,000 printed, 45,000 audio-visual sources, more than 92,000 e-books, more than 64,000 e-magazines.
- State-of-the-art resources and beautiful campus
- International students have access to all the resources and opportunities provided for our domestic students
- Parallels the Liberal Arts approach found in US programs, providing a comprehensive, well-rounded education in tandem with specialization
Research Opportunities with Top-Tier Faculty
Koç University's Graduate Programs have a powerful research component, interweaving superior academics with the required research experience. Similarly, undergraduate students work alongside faculty members on research projects. These research activities enhance their creativity and acuity for research.
Conducting scientific and applied research, proposing policies in various arenas and disseminating academic knowledge in social, economic and legal spheres; Koç University's research centers are a uniquely powerful dimension of the institution's emphasis on research.
Among the active research centers within Koç University are:
- Research Center for Anatolian Civilizations:History, art, architecture and archaeology of civilizations in Turkey
- Migration Research Program:International migration, transnationalism, forced migration, brain drain, migration citizenship
- Center for Computational Biology & Bioinformatics:Protein folding dynamics, structure and functions, protein-interactions
- Photonics Research Center: Fiber-optic communication systems, micro-electro-mechanical systems, micro/nano photonics, modeling of noise, nonlinear optics, solid-state lasers, quantum optics, spectroscopy, and ultrafast optics.
- Tupras Energy Center/KUTEM:Fossil Fuels, biofuels, solar fuels
- Semahat Arsel Nursing Education and Research Center: Guidance and counseling services for the hosp
- Globalization and Democratic Governance Center: Global Political Economy, Democratic Governance, Foreign Policy Analysis
- Surface Technologies Research Center: Surface chemistry, physics and engineering
- Koç University Research and Application Center For Gender and Women's Studies: Gender in the workplace, gender in science and arts, women rights
- Dr. Nüsret-Semahat Arsel International Trade Law Application and Research Center
- Social Policy Application and Research Center:Youth studies and education-employment transition, socio-economic exclusion, urban sociology, social policy studies
- Koç University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum:Economic growth, global economics and development strategies
Koç University is positioned as an excellent research partner in terms of funding research projects in collaboration with national and international public and private institutions. (universities, European Commission, public agencies, research and development agencies, the business world, and industrial corporations)
The total number of externally funded projects has increased over the years at Koç University and as of 2016, the total number of funded projects exceeds 500 and the total granted amount has exceeded $51,000,000.
International Prestige and Collaborations
Koç University is nationally and internationally recognized through its accreditations and memberships. The network of 200+ well known university partners around the globe reveals the international positioning and quality of the education as well as the vast range of opportunities for faculty and students.
In addition to the agreements of cooperation, Koç University is glad to be part of the following networks, memberships and have obtained international accreditations
- EFMD (College of Administrative Sciences and Economics and Graduate School of Business have 5 year EQUIS accreditation)
- AACSB (The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business)
- UNAOC (United Nations Alliance of Civilizations)
- DS (Diploma Supplement) Label
- ANCC (The American Nurses Credentialing Center)
- CEMS (One of the 28 full academic partner in CEMS MIM Program)
- GNAM (One of the 23 leading business schools around the world)
- GBSN (Global Business School Network)
- UNGC (United Nations Global Compact)
- PRME (The Principles for Responsible Management Education)
- UNAOC (Alliance of Civilizations)
- TPA (Turkish Psychologist Association)
- MUDEK (EUR-ACE, European Accreditation of Engineering Programs)
- Financial Times Business School Ranking (Executive MBA Program's 3 year average ranking is 66)
- Executive MBA program listed as one of Europe’s best 20 programs in Frankfurter Allgemeine newspaper rankings.
- College of Administrative Sciences and Economics and Graduate School of Business accredited by the European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS), making Koç University the first and only Turkish university with EQUIS accreditation and one of the select group of 115 EQUIS accredited institutions in 33 countries worldwide.
- Koç University selected as the CFA Institutes first program partner in Turkey and one of only 40 CFA program partners in Europe, affirming that the university curriculum adheres to professional practice standards and successfully prepares students for the Chartered Financial Analyst® (CFA®) exams.
A Holistic Approach to Social Responsibility
Koç University aims to create social impact by enriching future leaders, academia, and staff with experimental learning, advanced knowledge, and valuable networks. It is "the Social Innovation Catalyzer" for Civil Society Organizations, business and community to create social impact by helping social organizations tackle current challenges and by engaging businesses more productively with the community through support networks, effective M&E tools, and ongoing development resources.
As a global university with local engagement, Koç University is committed to create value in the surrounding community. To this end, both faculty and students work together with the support of Koç Foundation and external sponsors.
Anatolian Scholarship Program is a one of a kind social responsibility initiative that aims to reach out to students from the developing provinces of Turkey and offers a mechanism through which the donors can directly fund the education of successful students in need. The scholarship includes tuition, room and board, expenses towards acquisition of books and a monthly stipend provided for 10 months throughout the year.
Launched with resources from corporate donors, in 2015 the Program supported over 60 students across an array of disciplines.
Global Social Venture Competition is an initiative to catalyze social ventures and create financial sustainable business solutions that address significant social challenges. Koç University was selected to be an Outreach Partner for the Global Social Venture Competition (GSVC) in 2011. Since then, as the Outreach Partner, Koç University fostered innumerable ambitious entrepreneurs with necessary skill workshops and prominent mentors.
KU Global Aid, serves as a frame for student clubs to organize international community service projects, visiting countries in need, around the world.
Alumni Success Stories
Koç University graduates succeed professionally in various national and international enterprises, or they pursue advanced degrees at the topmost universities around the world.
Scholarship opportunities for high caliber students at graduate level
Qualifying students will be eligible to receive the following offer when admitted to specific graduate programs:
- Tuition waiver
- Health Insurance
- Working place and laptop
- Monthly stipend
This school offers programs in: