Politehnica University Timisoara (UPT) is one of the biggest technical universities from Central and Eastern Europe. It was founded in 1920 as an answer to the need for engineers of the Romanian society in the context of the post WW1 economical recovery. During its 95 years of existence, Politehnica University Timisoara produced over 118 000 engineers, greatly appreciated on the national and international level for their competence.
The study programmes are organized according to the Bologna paradigm. Over 12000 students are registered on various levels (Bachelor, Master, Doctoral and Postdoctoral), while aprox. 700 teaching staff and aprox. 500 administrative and auxiliary staff work within its framework.
Politehnica University Timisoara has 10 faculties : Faculty of Architecture and City Planning; Faculty of Civil Engineering; Faculty of Communication Sciences; Faculty of Electrical and Power Engineering; Faculty of Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering; Faculty of Industrial Chemistry and Environmental Engineering; Faculty of Management in Production and Transportation; Faculty of Mechanical Engineering; Faculty of Engineering in Hunedoara.
Politehnica University Timisoara owns an educational and research infrastructure – buildings and equipments – comparable with the most prestigious European universities. Important investments were made during the last years. The students of Politehnica University Timisoara have at their disposal a modern student campus, comprising two cafeterias and 16 student residences offering over 5 500 accommodation places. All 1 800 student rooms are furnished, have Internet connection and cable television.
The university has over 200 bilateral Erasmus+ agreements and more than 100 framework cooperation agreements with universities from all over Europe, but also from Asia, North and South America. Every year more than 200 students do a study or industrial placement abroad, while over 100 students from partner institutions come to study or do an industrial placement under the supervision of an UPT coordinator.
You will have at your disposal an extensive range of campus facilities to make your stay at UPT as pleasant and productive as possible.
• VISA SUPPORT. The Department for International Relations provides information and supports your application for obtaining the visa and the residence permit.
• ACCOMMODATION. We guarantee affordable university accommodation for all international students. Rooms have Internet, TV cable, a fridge, furniture and bed linen, and are shared by 2 or more students. Bathrooms, laundry rooms, reading rooms and kitchens are shared as well. All residences are within walking distance from UPT buildings and the city centre. Accommodation in the residences can be provided at the earliest 4 days before the beginning of the academic year.
• DINING SERVICES. Students can buy meal vouchers for the student cafeterias. Each voucher ensures one meal at a price of approx. 2 EUR. In the student campus you will also find a supermarket, various grocery stores and a wide variety of restaurants. Most student residences have vending machines.
• MEDICAL CARE. The Student Polyclinic is located in the Student Campus, and provides free of charge medical checks and treatments in general medicine, internal medicine and echography, dermatology, family planning, gynaecology, otorhinolaryngology, ophthalmology. Students can also get referred to specialists in other areas when necessary.
• SPORTS CENTERS. There are two sports centres available for UPT students and staff. You will have access to the fitness hall, open-air football fields, running track, covered mini-football fields, indoor and outdoor swimming pools with sauna and fitness equipment, basketball and volleyball courts, bitumen and tartan tennis fields.
• LIBRARY. The Central Library of Politehnica University of Timişoara has an extensive collection of books and publications, as well as relevant scientific databases. Reading spaces, small group-work rooms, computer-work areas and related services are available to library card holders. One study hall of the library is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
• WELCOME EVENTS. Exchange students are expected to arrive a week before the beginning of the academic year. The welcome activities help students discover the city and university, the services and the opportunities they can use while being enrolled at UPT. International students should attend the opening of the academic year and the welcome meeting organised in their faculty, as well as the events organised by the Department for International Relations.
• OTHER SERVICES for UPT students include: academic mentors for the whole duration of the studies, career counselling services and career fairs, an e-mail address which can be used to log in to eduroam (allowing free Internet connectivity in 74 countries), free public transportation in Timisoara for students under the age of 26 and for PhD students under the age of 30, discounts for train tickets and cultural events.
TOP 10 REASONS TO CHOOSE UPT:
- Value for money. Tuition fees for both Romanian and international students are reasonable and affordable.
- Accredited, internationally recognised study programmes taught in English, German, or French.
- Excellent infrastructure for teaching and research.
- Strong links with the business environment.
- High employability of graduates.
- Full support for obtaining the visa and residence permit.
- Full support during your studies: free access to all the facilities of the university, academic mentoring and career counselling.
- Opportunity to receive a grant to study or do an internship abroad at one of our partner institutions.
- Opportunity for international students with outstanding academic and scientific results to receive a scholarship from the Romanian Government.
- Timisoara is a safe, fun and culturally diverse city, with a vibrant artistic life and a dynamic business community. Over 50000 Romanian and international students study here to achieve their career goals.
This school offers programs in: