Welcome to the Medical University of Bialystok!
Initial activities towards the creation of our University were undertaken in early 1949; however, it was not until February 3rd, 1950 that the Council of Ministers issued a decree formally establishing the Medical University of Białystok. The founding father of the University was Dr. Jerzy Sztachelski, Professor Tadeusz Kielanowski presided as the first Rector, and in the second year of existence, the University obtained the right to confer scientific degrees.
The main seat of the Medical University of Białystok was and still is located in the 18th century Baroque palace built by the Branicki family. The palace is considered the most magnificent and precious historic structure in Białystok, and was known Podlaskie Versailles.
The first theoretical science departments were housed adjacent to the palace in Collegium Primum. In 1953, the first clinical departments were created and in 1954, Collegium Universum was built to house the majority of the theoretical science departments. In 1955, the academic journal, "Annals of the Medical University of Białystok", was issued for the first time and is still being published today. In 1956, another academic journal, "Medyk Białostocki", was briefly published before it prematurely discontinued. However, in 2000, the decision was made to resume publication of “Medyk Białostocki”.
The State Teaching Hospital of the Medical University of Bialystok was opened in 1962 and in 1968, the Division of Dentistry was created. In 1977, the Faculty of Pharmacy, with the Division of Medical Analytics, was established, however, there was no initial recruitment until 1987, when the first group of students began their studies at the Faculty of Pharmacy with the Division of Medical Analytics. In 1982, Collegium Pathologicum was opened and the Children's Teaching Hospital began admitting patients in 1988. In 1999, Collegium Novum was opened, with the Division of Nursing also being created in that same year. In 2004, the Division of Medical Education in English was created and the inaugural class of the English-Language 6-Year MD Program began their studies in October 2004.
The University's hospitals and clinics offer excellent training programs and facilities for students in each specialty of medicine. The patient population is quite large and cases are diverse in nature. These institutions provide medical services for the city of Bialystok and the Podlaskie regions.
The Teaching Hospital of the Medical Academy of Białystok is a teaching and research center for the university departments. In addition, it offers a wide variety of health services, ranging from simple procedures to highly specialized ones, all financed by the Ministry of Health and Social Care. The Children's Teaching Hospital is the second biggest hospital in the city. Its most modern equipment and professional teaching staff make up an excellent teaching base for medical students. About 10,000 sick children are hospitalized here annually. Another 120,000 are given consultations in out-patient departments.