The University of Siena awards first cycle, second cycle and single long cycle degrees in the following fields: Economics, Pharmacy, Law, Engineering, Arts and Humanities, Arts and Humanities in Arezzo, Medicine and Surgery, Mathematical, Physical and Natural Sciences and Political Science, as well as several interfaculty degrees. Amongst these degrees, one Bachelor and nine Master are taught entirely in English.
The teaching activities of the University of Siena’s first and second level courses are generally carried out in one of the fifteen Departments.
Postgraduate education at the University of Siena is carried out in postgraduate schools, master’s programmes, training, advanced training and refresher courses and summer schools, while postgraduate research is performed in the doctoral schools.
Studying at the University of Siena
Students in Siena can be part of a real community of people motivated by a thirst for knowledge and learning, with attentive and approachable academic staff and many innovative services at their disposal.
The careful organization of teaching, the quality of lessons (which is monitored regularly), the services to facilitate studying such as efficient and well-organized libraries and laboratories, as well as the welcoming, orientation and continuous tutoring activities, support for disabled students and those in difficulty are just some of the University of Siena’s strong points.
The University of Siena runs 38 first cycle degree programmes, 1 single cycle degree programme, 4 single cycle degree programmes in the field of medicine and pharmacy regulated by European Union directives and 29 second cycle degree programmes.
Students can also choose from a wide selection of postgraduate courses, including doctoral degree programmes, specialization schools and master’s programmes, the latter being designed to offer specific training in the most innovative sectors.
- 315 European Universities have collaboration agreements in the sphere of the LLP/Erasmus project
- 300 Erasmus foreign study scholarships and approximately 30 Erasmus placement scholarships are awarded each year
- 239 Universities in Europe, Africa, Latin America, Canada, the Russian Federation, Japan, the Middle East, the USAand Vietnamhave instruction-scientific collaboration agreements
- 72 foreign Universities have collaboration agreements for international Doctorate degrees
- 20 foreign Universities have collaboration agreements for international Master’s degrees
- 40 scholarships for foreign study and research for undergraduates, graduates, researchers and PhD students in the Universities of Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, the Russian Federation, Germany, Japan, Mexico, Peru, Great Britainand the USAare awarded each year
Ten reasons to study at the University of Siena
1. FIRST AMONG ITALIAN UNIVERSITIES
The University of Siena dates back to 1240. One of the oldest universities in Italy, it is also one of the most prestigious. The University of Siena has a strong knowledge-related tradition and commitment to both research and innovation. According to the 2012 classification of the newspaper “Repubblica” (Censis guide), Siena boasts the best University in Italy for structures, services, study grants, website and internationalization. It is also the fifth state university and third general university according to the 2012 classification of Italian Universities published by the newspaper “Il Sole 24 Ore”. Siena offers a wide range of courses in 15 departments related to the areas of Experimental Sciences, Biomedical and Medical Sciences, Literature, History, Philosophy and Arts, Economics, Law and Political Sciences. The first, second, single long cycle and postgraduate courses are taught in either Italian or English. There are also summer schools and specialization courses to train professionals in various fields related to Italian culture and society.
2. STUDY GRANT AND ACCOMMODATION International students can apply for study grants and accommodation in university halls of residence. Study grants exonerate students from paying course fees, accommodation, meals in university canteens and provide a monetary contribution to living expenses. Applications can be made online. Study grants and accommodation are not allocated by the University itself, but by DSU Toscana, the Regional Agency for the Right to University Study.
3. SUPPORT FOR STUDYING ITALIAN LANGUAGE AND CULTURE Students arriving from other countries are welcomed with a series of meetings to acclimatize them to Italian culture and the language. These sessions are free and take place at the beginning of the first semester. They focus on basic communication in Italian and provide practical information on living in the city of Siena (culture, music, museums, residency permit, banks, post office) and the university itself.
4. SUPPORT FROM INTERNATIONAL STUDENT TUTORS Based on the idea that “students help students”, at the University of Siena young tutors from various parts of the world help and provide guidance to international students regarding the University’s 2 services and Italian universities in general. International students also provide support to facilitate new students’ cultural integration in the Sienese academic community.
5. WORK EXPERIENCE IN ITALIAN COMPANIES The University of Siena puts international students in contact with local businesses (such as Novartis and the bank Monte dei Paschi di Siena) and national ones, according to their specific interests. Work experience is part of many degree courses and provides professional experience in an Italian company or public administration, which can be useful both for learning the language and to see the creativity and productivity of Italian companies at first hand.
6. EUROPEAN MOBILITY During their studies at the University of Siena international students can spend a period of between 3 and 12 months in another European country, through the LLP/Erasmus programme. This will allow them to gain in-depth knowledge of European culture and learn another European language. Students can attend European universities with which the University of Siena has bilateral agreements. Students are assisted in their choice of the city, accommodation and study plan. Exams taken in other European universities are recognized with credits which contribute to students’ studies at the University of Siena.
7. ITALIAN LANGUAGE CERTIFICATION Students can take advantage of language learning services available at the Centro Linguistico di Ateneo. The Centre offers free courses in English, French, Spanish, German, Portuguese, Russian, as well as self-access labs, online courses and the possibility to take English language exams at level B1 and B2. Students can also sit for internationally recognized English language exams here, organized by the University of Cambridge (PET, FCE, CAE, CPE) and the British Council(IELTS).
8. 360° DEGREES OF SPORT International students can participate in course of gymnastics, tennis, dancing, football (male and female), self-defence, archery, swimming, yoga, ping pong. The Italian University Sports Centre (CUSI) also offers the opportunity to practice various sports, from judo to basketball, volleyball (male and female), rugby and fencing. Students have access to sports facilities at discounted prices.
9. MUSIC AND THEATRE Young musicians interested in jazz and other music can frequent the courses of the prestigious Fondazione Siena Jazz, the national jazz academy, which offers a series of introductory and master classes in jazz and related contemporary music, such as fusion, funky, Latin music, blues, jazz-rock,etc.. Students also have many opportunities to participate in events in Siena and Tuscany thanks to collaboration with DSU Toscana - the Regional Agency for the Right to University Study.
10. SOCIAL AND EXTRA-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES Foreign students can participate in guided visits, tours in the Tuscan countryside and to the most famous sites of Italy, visits to science museums and those related to fashion (such as the Gucci museum), sports, conversation exchanges, and all social activities organized in collaboration with the ESN Siena group (GES), a member of the IESN (International Erasmus Student Network). The ESN Siena group promotes cultural exchanges between people of different nationalities.
This school offers programs in: