The Master of Science (MSc) in Finance is offered and managed by the Department of Finance and Insurance at Lingnan University. The MSc degree will give a deep coverage of the major areas in finance, with an emphasis on professional practice. As such, the degree will cover asset pricing, commercial and investment banking, corporate finance, financial engineering, insurance, investments, risk management, and wealth management. The inclusion of insurance electives will increase the appeal of the degree to both students and potential employers and it represents an area of strength in the Department.
MSc in Finance
The Master of Science (MSc) in Finance is offered and managed by the Department of Finance and Insurance at Lingnan University. The MSc degree will give a deep coverage of the major areas in finance, with an emphasis on professional practice. As such, the degree will cover asset pricing, commercial and investment banking, corporate finance, financial engineering, insurance, investments, risk management, and wealth management. The inclusion of insurance electives will increase the appeal of the degree to both students and potential employers and it represents an area of strength in the Department. The staff members in the Department of Finance and Insurance are well placed to deliver professionally relevant courses as is evidenced by their professional and academic qualifications in accounting, actuarial science, financial analysis, finance, insurance, risk management, and taxation. The Department’s undergraduate finance degree is recognised by the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Institute (University Recognition Programme) and the Risk and Insurance Management (RIM) degree is recognised by the Chartered Insurance Institute and the Insurance Institute of Hong Kong. These features will help distinguish our MSc from others in the market place. The MSc in Finance is designed to help students become finance professionals through leading edge teaching and curriculum design.
1. The degree is ideal for those students who have no, limited, or an intermediate level of knowledge of finance but who have a strong desire to learn and who are keen to work in the finance industry in Hong Kong, China, and internationally.
2. The degree will emphasise the important concepts, skills, and theoretical and institutional underpinnings of finance in semester 1 and more advanced topics and practical aspects in semester 2.
3. The degree will provide an excellent background for students who wish to take the major professional qualifications in finance such as the CFA, CIIA, FRM, and CII designations. Our undergraduates have achieved great success in these professional examinations and in the licensing exams of the Hong Kong securities regulator, the Securities and Futures Commission (SFC).
4. Our undergraduates in the BBA Finance and BBA Risk and Insurance Management have enjoyed great success in their careers in commercial and investment banking, fund and wealth management, insurance, and in other financial institutions. We fully expect that our graduates in the MSc in Finance will be able to compete in the job market. Non-local students have the opportunity to remain in Hong Kong for one year after graduation to look for a job.
1. Our full time Professors have many years of experience in teaching all aspects of finance. All staff have PhDs from major U.S., European, and Hong Kong universities and are active researchers who publish their work in the major journals*. Our staff have extensive expertise in China, regional, and international financial markets and institutions.
2. Our staff have professional qualifications in accounting, actuarial science, financial analysis and investment, insurance, risk management, and tax. This attests to the professional relevance of our teaching and enables us to provide the best guidance to students who want to take the major professional qualifications in finance.
3. The Department of Finance and Insurance is a recognised partner programme of the CFA Institute. The Department is also officially recognised by the Chartered Insurance Institute (CII) and our students obtain substantial credits towards the internationally-recognised ACII qualification.
4. The Faculty of Business is accredited by the AACSB, the premier international accreditation agency of business schools. This attests to the quality of our programmes and teaching staff.
*The Department has been ranked as being in the top 30 Asia-Pacific universities and the top 10 greater China universities in terms of total research productivity in finance. This is highly commendable given that our Department is much smaller than the other universities.^
^Kam C. Chan, Carl R. Chen, and Tan (Charlene) Lee (2011). A long-term assessment of finance research performance among Asia-Pacific academic institutions (1990-2008). Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, 19, 157-171.
The University and its Environs
1. Lingnan University is the only government funded liberal arts university in Hong Kong. The total size is a little over 3000 students. The University has a small-class size philosophy that enables close student-professor interactions. This philosophy extends to the MSc in Finance and provides a contrast to other graduate finance degrees in Hong Kong.
2. Lingnan University provides a wide range of services to students and a vibrant social life with a wide range of social clubs and activities. While Hong Kong is an expensive city to live, the accommodation costs are relatively cheaper near Lingnan University. There may be some University Hostel housing available (although priority is given to the undergraduates) and there is an active rental market within a hundred metres of the University.
The requirement for the award of the MSc degree is the completion of a minimum of 30 credits or 10 courses (6 core courses and 4 elective courses), in order to graduate. The teaching pattern is normally a three-hour lecture and/or seminar per week per course. The normal duration for the programme is one year full-time. The maximum period for completion of the degree is two years.
To be eligible for entry into this MSc Programme, candidates should:
1. Hold a bachelor’s degree with a first class or second class honours from a recognised tertiary institution (applicants with no background in finance in their first degree will have to complete pre-entry courses); or have equivalent qualifications and experience, which will be considered on a case-by-case basis; and
2. Meet the English language proficiency requirement. (Students who have graduated from a university using English as a main teaching language do not normally need to present evidence of their proficiency.)
- TOEFL - minimum score of 550 (paper-based test), 213 (computer-based test), or 79 (Internet-based test);
- IELTS - minimum acceptable score of 6.5; or
- CET 6 - minimum acceptable score of 450
Candidates will enjoy admission preference if they have work experience and/or have professional qualifications in finance, insurance, actuarial science, accounting, and others.
Applicants with no background in accounting, finance, and statistics will be required to pass the pre-entry courses prior to the start of the MSc Programme. The courses are assessed on a pass-fail basis.
Required Subject Areas
- Financial Management and Accounting (42 class contact hours)
- Statistics Workshop (32 class contact hours)
Tuition and Fees
Application Fee – HKD $350 (payable to "Lingnan University"; cash is NOT accepted), non-refundable.
Tuition Fee – HKD $150,000; and the tuition fees for pre-entry courses "Financial Management and Accounting" and "Statistics Workshop" are HKD $15,000 and HKD $12,000 respectively.
*Paid tuition fees are NOT refundable/transferable no matter the student completes the Programme or not.
For the current year intake, application closes on 31 March 2017. Late application may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Start Date: Late August 2017
Duration: One Year Full-time
Tel: (852) 2616 8191
Fax: (852) 2462 1073