History of the university
The University of Veterinary and Pharmaceutical Sciences Brno was founded on December 12, 1918 by Act no. 76/1918 Coll. upon the creation of the Czechoslovak State Veterinary University in Brno. It was the first university to be formed after the creation of the Republic of Czechoslovakia. It was founded within the premises of what had once been cavalry barracks and a provincial training school. The university's founder and first rector was Prof. MUDr. et MVDr. h.c. Eduard Babák. Classes began on November 17, 1919. From its inception, the university developed as a single-faculty university aimed at veterinary medicine (veterinary sciences). In 1975 two colleges were created: the College of General Veterinary Medicine (later renamed College of Veterinary Medicine) and the College of Veterinary Medicine - Food Hygiene (later renamed Veterinary Hygiene and Ecology). In 1990, two faculties were created - the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, focused on veterinary medicine, and the Faculty of Veterinary Hygiene and Ecology, aimed at veterinary hygiene. In 1991, a third faculty was added - the Faculty of Pharmacy, geared towards human and veterinary pharmaceutical sciences. Since 1994, the university has been officially called the University of Veterinary and Pharmaceutical Sciences Brno.
Faculty of Pharmacy
Faculty of Pharmacy has been one of three faculties of the University of Veterinary and Pharmaceutical Sciences in Brno since 1991. Between 1952 and 1960 the studies of Pharmacy were conducted at Masaryk University in Brno, then at Komenský University in Bratislava.
The standard Master study programme in Pharmacy takes five years and is based on a credit system. The Faculty is a member of the Association of European Faculties of Pharmacy and its graduates meet all the requirements for the profession as defined by the European Union. In the initial two years students revise and broaden their knowledge of elementary natural and medical subjects to the level required for understanding specific subjects from the field of Pharmacy. Students attend lectures and seminars and take part in practical pharmacy placements. During the following years of study they work on their thesis. The programme is concluded by defending the thesis and taking the final state examination. Then the students are awarded the Master degree (abbreviated Mgr.). The study programme is compliant with EU directive 2005/36/EC.
Graduates awarded the Master degree can later sit for a thorough state exam including an advanced thesis defence. After passing they are awarded the "Doctor of Pharmacy" degree (abbreviated PharmDr.).
Graduates can apply for postgraduate study programmes in five accredited branches of Pharmacy. After defending their dissertation and passing the final state examination they are awarded the Ph.D. degree.
The Faculty closely cooperates with industry and runs a Faculty Pharmacy on the premises. It cooperates with private and public pharmacies in the country where students conduct their placements and also with the Chamber of Pharmacists and the Association of Pharmacy owners.
This school offers programs in: