Forestry education on university level has a long tradition in Prague. First encyclopaedic lectures on forestry were included in the curriculum of lectures in the frame of the Chair of Agriculture at the Charles University in 1789. First regular lectures on forestry started at the Polytechnic University in 1848. The Faculty of Forestry as an institution originated in 1919 in the frame of Polytechnic University in Prague.
The Faculty of Forestry and Wood Sciences of the Czech University of Life Sciences Prague (Fakulta lesnická a dřevařská České zemědělské univerzity v Praze) is located in the University campus in Prague 6 – Suchdol, on the North-West margin of Prague. The Faculty consists of 10 departments and arboretum. The faculty is engaged in education of forestry, timber processing and related fields on bachelor, master and doctoral levels, and in research and expertise in the respective fields. The Faculty employs 140 people including part time jobs, of them 100 teaching and scientific staff (10 professors, 22 associate professors, 38 assistants and 30 research assistants). The total number of students in bachelor, master and doctoral study programmes varies about 2,000 (the number of doctoral students in all doctoral programmes reaches 200).
The Faculty closely collaborates with the University Forest Enterprise (Školní lesní podnik), which manages more than 6,500 ha of forestland, serving with its experimental forest stands, greenhouses, forest nurseries, game preserve, fishery and ponds, a saw mill, mechanised log depot, and other establishments for educational and research purposes of the Faculty of Forestry and Wood Sciences.
This school offers programs in: