The Master in English Language Teaching for Self-Directed Learning program is taught jointly by the Universidad de La Sabana in Chía, Colombia, and Anaheim University in Anaheim, California, USA. The program
Awarded by the Universidad de La Sabana
Graduate Diploma in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) awarded by Anaheim University
The Master in English Language Teaching for Self-Directed Learning program is taught jointly by the Universidad de La Sabana in Chía, Colombia, and Anaheim University in Anaheim, California, USA. The program is taught under an agreement between the two universities.
The Master in English Language Teaching for Self-Directed Learning program provides participants with further professional development in the areas of language and self-directed learning, reflective teaching and research.
It also seeks new alternatives in language teaching and learning which, through research and innovation, will contribute to the implementation of self-directed learning environments in educational institutions in response to the needs of 21st-century learners.
Weekly real-time online sessions guided by Anaheim University’s faculty and Universidad de La Sabana faculty.
Weekly discussion forums to enhance reflection, collaborative learning and peer feedback
To equip professionals in English language teaching with excellent academic and pedagogic qualifications that will enable them to develop creative, innovative solutions in their professional teaching practice to meet the needs of their specific context.
Participants will develop competences that will enable them to:
- Design a range of curricular modules, lesson plans, pedagogical materials and assessment tools to meet a range of learner needs in specific educational communities.
- Evaluate and critique syllabuses, curricula and pedagogical materials.
- Articulate current conceptual and theoretical trends, issues and concerns in the fields of applied linguistics and language pedagogy.
- Incorporate new information and communication technologies into professional practice.
- Design, implement and evaluate strategic plans of pedagogical mediation in virtual learning environments.
- Enhance self-directed learning as a strategy that will help students to develop lifelong learner habits.
- Explore, consult, select, analyze, evaluate and use information to improve their professional development.
- Continuously improve their communicative abilities and ensure their ongoing personal and professional growth.
- Plan and design strategies that favor the achievement of the language learning standards relevant to their specific context.
- Carry out research projects related to language teaching and learning.
Each subject is worth 4 credits, corresponding to 48 contact hours and 144 hours of independent work for a total of 192 hours.
The Research Project (Parts 1 and 2) is worth 2 credits per year, corresponding to 24 contact hours and 72 hours of independent work for a total of 96 hours.
Students will have continuous support and follow-up from their research counselor throughout the two years of development of their research project.
This Master’s program has been designed for in-service teachers of English or of content-based subjects in English interested in pioneering the implementation of pedagogical models that will enable them to meet the challenges posed by the knowledge society. This will be reflected in the development of lifelong learning habits in their learners through the use of cutting-edge technology.
Graduates from the Master in English Language Teaching for Self-Directed Learning program are highly competent professionals in humanities, pedagogy and research. They are supported by a clear interdisciplinary, global vision of their professional practice which enables them to carry out continuous reflection and structured research processes and to promote their own excellence and the uninterrupted improvement of their communicative competence in English.
The Graduate Diploma in TESOL awarded by Anaheim University certifies the graduates’ achievement of international standards, providing them with competitive advantages and a wide outlook on different professional contexts.
Applications are welcome from professionals presently engaged in any area of English language teaching or English content-based teaching.
A B.A. degree in language teaching or in any other area.
1: Foreign citizens are required to comply with the legal requisites for study in Colombia.
2: Foreign undergraduate degrees must be apostilled.
Basic knowledge of information and communication technologies. (MS Office, Internet, E-mail)
24-hour internet access + a computer with up to date software
English language competence equivalent to B2 or higher in the Common European Framework scale.
- iTEP: 4.0 or B2
- TOEFL: iBT 79
- IELTS: Band 6.0
- COL $12.500 / USD $6,378 (per Year – 2014)
- COL $6,250.000 / USD $3,189 (per Semester)