Research Master Religion and Culture
Religion and culture form a challenging field of interdisciplinary study. This Research Master offers you a thorough training in the subdisciplines of theology and religious studies.
The two-year research programme is offered to highly qualified and motivated students, who have a wide-ranging interest in religion. You will be prepared to carry out postgraduate academic research.
The programme comprises a traineeship, the writing of your Master's thesis and a research proposal. In addition to this, you will take three core modules: you will explore some of the key issues and texts in the rise of the academic study of religion, and you will focus on paradigm cases of the ongoing conversation between religion and philosophy. In addition, you will address the European reception of Eastern religious traditions and focus on the impact of Asian religions on the religious and cultural development in Europe.
From the regular courses of the Master's programme of Theology and Religious Studies you will choose three additional courses. These optional modules will equip you with in-depth knowledge of specialized subjects, subject-specific skills, and methodological knowledge.
The programme is offered in English.
Admission requirements - International students
- assessment interview: After selection, an interview with the student is part of the procedure.
- grade average: On average, grades should be 8 or higher (on a scale of 1 to 10)
- grade list: Certified transcripts should testify to the candidate's competences.
- language test: Sufficient knowledge of English: a minimum TOEFL score of 637 (paper), 270 (computer) or 110 (internet) or a minimum score of 7.5 in IELTS. The test is not required of native speakers of English and of Dutch students with a VWO certificate.
- previous education: BA in Theology or Religious studies or BA in a related area in Humanities, Philosophy or Social Sciences.
- written request: Students have to apply for admittance to the programme by a admission form and a motivation letter.
This school offers programs in: