Professional Science Master in Biotechnology
CSUSM offers a Professional Science Master degree in Biotechnology (PSMBt). Comprising 38 units of a combination of Biotechnology and Business classes over five semesters, this program is one of the more practical and applicable biotechnology degrees available in the San Diego area. Biotech industry leaders have overwhelmingly indicated a need for business training in addition to laboratory experience with hands-on understanding of the increasingly complex technologies being developed in the biotech industry.
Facts about CSUSM's PSMBt program:
- 38 credits/units over five semesters (Fall, Spring, Summer, Fall, Spring)
- cohort-style program structure guarantees classes
- evening classes to accommodate working professionals
- combines business courses with science
- includes regulatory affairs, statistics, intellectual property, bioengineering and more
- requires a Semester-in Residence project working with a selected industry leader
- culminates in a public presentation of the project
- often results in immediate job placement or advancement
- Financial Aid is available
Cohorts begin every fall semester. Now accepting applications for Fall 2014.
"The Professional Science Master is an innovative graduate degree designed to allow students to pursue advanced training and excel in science without a Ph.D., while simultaneously developing highly-valued business skills without the additional time and money needed to obtain an MBA. Programs are characterized by combining rigorous study in science with skill-based coursework in management, law, intellectual property and regulatory affairs," says the Council of Graduate Schools. PSM programs emphasize writing and communication skills and require a final real-world project or team experience in a business or public sector enterprise.
Admission to the program requires an undergraduate degree with a major in a bioscience or chemistry or related area. Alternatively, applicants with B.A./B.S. degree in a related field with a minor or equivalent work/certification experiences may be considered for conditional admission. While a minimum of a baccalaureate degree is required, applicant evaluation will consider pertinent background, prerequisite courses and opportunity for successful completion. Generally, applicants should have courses or experience in:
- Molecular Cell Biology or Molecular/Cellular Biotechnology (i.e. BIOL 351 or BIOT 355/356)
- Microbiology or Biology of Microorganisms (i.e. BIOL 160 or BIOL 367)
- Statistics (i.e. BIOL 215 or MATH 242)
- Chemistry and Biochemistry (i.e. CHEM 150 and CHEM 341/351)
Applicants who have not completed an upper division biochemistry course may be required to take CHEM 341 or 351.
Specific admission criteria are:
Applicants must meet the general requirements for admission to graduate studies at CSUSM, including an official score report of the General GRE.
An undergraduate grade point average in all completed science and math courses of at least 2.75 or a GPA of at least 3.0 in the last 35 semester units of science and math.
All applicants, regardless of citizenship, who do not possess a bachelor's degree from a post-secondary institution where English is the principal language must satisfy the English language proficiency requirement via one of the three following methods:
TOEFL passing score: A score of 80 internet-based (iBT), 213 computer-based (CBT) or 550 paper-based (PBT). Scores above 15 on the Writing section of the iBT will be considered on a competitive basis. Test scores must be sent directly from ETS, please visit the ETS website for detailed information and test locations. Our school code is 5677.
IELTS passing score: An overall band score of 6. Be sure to let us know when you take the test and provide us with your Test Report Number (TRN) so we can electronically download the scores. Please visit the IELTS website atwww.ielts.org/ for testing dates and locations.
- ALCI TOEFL waiver: If you are interested in applying for an ALCI TOEFL waiver, please visit the ALCI website.
Should you be offered admission into this program, a non-refundable $250 "intent to enroll" fee will be required upon acceptance.This fee will be credited toward your first semester's fees.
Program and Tuition Fees
Note: Fees are based on current CSU fee guidelines. CSU program and tuition fees are subject to change based on the CSU Board of Trustees mandates. Please know that the Cal Vet Fee Waiver may not be used by any Extended Learning degree program.
Fees Fall 2014 Cohort:
- Tuition Fee per unit $794.00
- Late Registration Fee $25.00
- Late Administrative Fee $15.00
- Refund Processing Fee $5.00
Note: Program and tuition fees do not include cost-of-living, books, parking, or additional expenses.
- CSU Application Fee (one time fee) $55.00
- Textbooks and Software $750.00 approx. per term
**You may submit your FAFSA application prior to being admitted to the program.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated July 31, 2015