The two-year Post Graduate Programme in Public Policy and Management (PGPPM) of Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB) has entered its eighth year. Catalyzed by the Government of India and UNDP in the year 2002, the PGPPM was conceived as a pioneering programme in public policy designed by India's leading business school. The programme presents an innovative and socially relevant approach to public policy, besides being power packed with path breaking insights about winning policy making and management strategies. Eminent academicians and practitioners share inputs on how to mobilize participants' intangible assets - talent, knowledge, relationship and relation to meet the challenges to governance in the new global context. PGPPM also allows participants' the opportunity to specialize in a policy area of your choice. In the preceding seven years, 206 participants belonging to the All India Services and Central Services Group "A" have successfully underwent the programme. Some of our alumni are on assignments in frontier areas such as Infrastructure Financing, Regulations, Public-Private Partnerships and in management of key Social Sector Projects. For All India Services and Central Services Group 'A' officials participation is sponsored by Department of Personnel and Training, Government of India.
With effect from 2008 academic year, the programme has been open to all eligible non-government participants from PSUs, Financial Institutions and NGOs.
PGPPM participants with requisite CGPAs have the option to pursue the Fellow Programme (Doctoral Programme) in the Institute. This opportunity has been availed by some of our successful participants belonging to All India Services and Central Services Group "A".
PGPPM offers participants global exposure and experience by the synergetic combination of the expertise at IIM Bangalore and similarly overseas Institutes.
PGPPM aims to enhance the competence of participants by:
- Broadening awareness of the latest trends in policy approaches
- Deepening conceptual, technical and analytical skills for public policy applications
- Developing leadership skills for public policy
- Creating a better understanding of the forces shaping the domestic and international environment for public policy
- Providing opportunity for specialization in a field of choice
- Broadening understanding of the latest trends in policy approaches
- Providing opportunities to learn from alternative systems of public management based on comparative study of other countries
- Enhancing awareness about the latest trends in national and international policy approaches
During the first year, the participants undergo a rigorous residential programme with a term of 7 weeks at the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University, USA. Participants spend the second year working on a dissertation in their chosen work environment. The programme leads to the award of the Post Graduate Diploma in Public Policy and Management by IIMB.
The main features of PGPPM include:
- Interdisciplinary learning
- Emphasis on shared learning and learning from experience
- Self-study as a key ingredient of in-depth learning in area of specialization
- Opportunities to access knowledge from a wide range of networked institutions
- Foreign study component: in-depth exposure to international public policy dimensions through a special module in collaboration with the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University , USA
- Interactive models of classroom learning
- A dissertation providing for an in-depth understanding of a chosen public policy issue
Officers of the All India Services and Central Services subject to the following eligibility conditions:
Length of Service: The officer should have put in at least 7 years of Group 'A' service.
Age: The officer should not be more than 50 years on the date of commencement of the programme i.e.1-6-2010 (53 years in case of officers belonging to Scheduled Caste Scheduled Tribe and OB Community)
Earlier Training: The officer should not have under gone training programme of a duration12-weeks or more in India or duration of 2-weeks or more abroad, in the preceding five years.
A bachelor's degree in any discipline with at least 7 years of professional experience, and proven proficiency in English.
Applicants should not be over 50 years of age as on the date of commencement of the programme i.e.1-6-2010 (53 years in case of Scheduled Caste Scheduled Tribe and OB Community).
GMAT/GRE scores obtained between April 1, 2008 and November 30, 2009 will be considered
Candidates not having GMAT/GRE scores may also apply by appearing for tests/evaluation.
Cost of the Programme
The Department of Personnel and Training, Government of India will bear the costs that may be incurred on the international component of the programme for all participants sponsored by DoPT, subject to rules and regulations laid down by DoPT from time to time. The cost of domestic tuition fee will be met by the cadre controlling authority for the selected All India Services and Central Services Group "A".
For non DoPT participants the cost of domestic tuition fee will be Rs.9.75 lakhs and cost of international component is around USD 7640 (includes tuition fee, lodging and travel expenses). This does not include living expenses during the programme and travel costs connected to dissertation related work in year 2.
This school offers programs in: