A career-focused postgraduate film degree for the 21st century changing film and media industry. Ideal for graduates of film programmes, adult learners managing complicated schedules, or existing filmmakers wanting to develop their unique voice and career as an independent filmmaker. Full time or part time, online or London-based. A modular study programme in which you design 80% of your curriculum in negotiation with mentors and industry experts.
Awarded by Staffordshire University and delivered by Raindance, this degree now has 150 students on six continents, in London-based or international online study groups.
Develop a film, digital or transmedia project while learning and developing your skills and knowledge; move your screenplay forward while better understanding your story and theme; or explore new directions in digital and transmedia storytelling while learning new directions in digital marketing and distribution; all with expert industry guidance from Raindance - Europe's largest film training provider & independent film festival in it's 23rd year.
Mentors: Working industry professionals
Validating Institution: Staffordshire University
Venue: London-based or Online
- Full time, approx. 35-40 hours per week
- Part time, approx. 15-20 hours per week
Develop your voice as an independent filmmaker in a Masters programme
Most academic programmes are boxes you have to try to fit into. This programme creates the box around you. As a creative, you want to study filmmaking creatively, investigatively, and on your own terms. As an independent filmmaker, you want to develop your own voice.
The Raindance Postgraduate Film Degree is delivered in collaboration with Staffordshire University and allows you to achieve:
- Skill and career development in an area of film, TV or web content of your own choosing, negotiating your learning pathway and your goals
- An M.A. degree following a creative or industry-focused pathway; or an M.Sc. degree following a research-focused pathway
- In a flexible, modular structure which you design up to 80%, in negotiation with mentors and industry professionals.
- Using a reflective and analytical learning practice that develops your decision-making skills and your voice as an independent filmmaker
- London based or Online.
Raindance benefits and opportunities - in your pocket:
Become a postgraduate student and tap into Raindance expertise and our worldwide professional networks - no matter where you reside:
- Receive mentoring by working industry professionals;
- Negotiate access to production resources, collaborators, development and marketing opportunities through the Raindance network;
- Collaborate with potential creative partners and peers through your student cohort, locally or internationally
- Gain access to open Raindance classes, lectures and networking events worldwide (London, Toronto, Los Angeles) - subject to availability;
- Get festival passes for Raindance, Cannes and TIFF
- Gain free access to the annual Raindance Film Festival and Raindance WebFest
"Thanks to the support I got from the Raindance MA, I was able to get a job as a University Lecturer in Television Production. The Raindance Postgraduate course and the Raindance/ Staffordshire tutors have enabled me to develop my theoretical approaches to Film and TV production - taking my career to the next level. The practical workshops I have attended have also enabled me to keep up to date with current industry practices. The weekend seminars with scriptwriters and script gurus have been fantastic and have provided me with a whole host of techniques to try out. Thank you."
- Kerry Masters, Postgraduate Student, 2012
"The postgraduate programme gave me great freedom in deciding what projects to work on and thus gave me the freedom to build my own curriculum. I also enjoyed the great variety of classes that taught me filmmaking skills I might have never learned otherwise."
- Jesco Puluj, Postgraduate Student, 2013
Flexible & career-focused: Can you really design your own degree?
Your learning activities, pathway and goals are developed in negotiation with your industry mentors.
Every student is engaged in a unique learning plan that focuses on key learning questions and knowledge areas you wish to develop within this unique postgraduate framework. Just to name a few:
- Plan, write and develop your script, film, pilot or web series, reflecting and analyzing your choices and decisions;
- Get your package documentation ‘market-ready’ through current industry research, with guidance from industry professionals;
- Experiment and test out your style and voice in a Raindance environment that supports creative innovation and verve
- Research, plan and shoot a short, web series, documentary, or work toward a feature length project development, implementing best practice
- Research, design and test a crowd funding campaign through understanding current industry analytics to support your strategy
- Study specific genres, narrative or filmmaking styles to deepen and enrich your material
- Research, analyse and test new ways to build an audience, finance a project or self-distribute a film or digital project
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 9, 2015