This masters course has been developed as an international programme, which allows students to carry out part of their studies in another university that is part of the recently created International Tourism Masters Network - ITMN.
The language of instruction for this course is English, and therefore candidates must have a suitable level of English (e.g. level B2 of the Common European Framework, IELTS band 6.0, TOEFL score of 65 or over...) However, please note that it is possible to write assignments/reports/dissertation in English or Portuguese, and possibly in other languages, such as Spanish or French).
The main objectives of the Masters course in Tourism and Culture are:
- To contribute to a transdisciplinary vision of the management of culture, cultural industries and tourism, especially in the urban context, in order to promote the integrated management of cultural and tourist resources;
- To enable better coordination between the various sectors involved in order to offer a high quality tourism product;
- To provide an innovative and creative vision of culture and tourism management ;
- To provide masters’ students with the skills needed to enable appropriate responses to the problems facing the tourism sector in cultural contexts and to respond to new challenges;
- To develop skills in management, programming, media coverage and certification of tourism and cultural projects;
- To raise awareness of the issues involved in creating small and micro enterprises.
This masters degree will give you the scientific and technical preparation necessary to work at the planning and management level of the tourism and cultural/creative sectors, including in national, regional and local tourism and cultural organizations and private enterprise. The types of work you might apply for include:
- Cutural tourism project management
- Interpretation centre planning and development
- Visitor management
- Event planning and organization
- Strategic planning of cultural and tourism resources