Master's degree in Synthesis, Catalysis and Molecular Design
This master's degree provides students with in-depth theoretical knowledge of the field and new techniques in product synthesis, catalyst development, management of environment-friendly chemical processes, and computational design. It is primarily research-oriented, so graduates will be able to undertake research, development and innovation in industry. The general objectives are the following:
i) To provide high-level scientific training in the fields of: molecular synthesis, catalysis and design, so that graduates can undertake doctoral studies and pursue a scientific or academic career.
ii) To provide graduates with a capacity for innovation and the necessary skills to synthesise sustainable chemical products and processes in the professional world.
The aims of the courses are the following:
- To enable students to use synthetic methodologies and design ways of obtaining new products with the tools of computational chemistry.
- To familiarise students with modern techniques for characterising molecular compounds, surfaces and solids.
- To provide tools for understanding the most advanced principles and applications of catalysis.
- To train students to design chemical processes on a laboratory or industrial scale through channels that meet the standards of sustainability and environmental friendliness.
- To provide students who wish to undertake doctoral studies with more advanced, specific knlowledge relevant to their research: synthesis, catalysis or modelling.
The master's degree is primarily research-oriented but the training is suitable for students who wish to pursue a career in the manufacturing sector. It offers the following career opportunities:
- Undertaking doctoral studies.
- Access to leading sectors of production that have interdisciplinary research groups. The spectrum is broad, as most industrial processes require a catalyst. However, the sectors with which the master's degree is most involved are those of fine chemicals in general: synthesis of intermediates, pharmaceutical chemistry, agricultural chemistry, plant protection products and synthesis of polymers and smart materials. Graduates will be able to design and develop new products and processes in chemical companies in general.
Language of instruction
This master's degree is designed for students who have an official university degree in chemistry, chemical engineering or a related science.
FIRST YEAR: Compulsory Subjects
- Introduction to Computational Chemistry
- Structural Determination Techniques**
- Multidisciplinary Seminars
- Final Master's Project**
** These subjects make up the competences requiered for the subject Career Counselling Citizenship.
In this section you will find the list of all the optional subjects on the curriculum. Before you select the subjects you wish to register for, please make sure that they have been activated
Students must study two of the subjects marked *. This choice will be made in consultation with the tutor.
- Characterisation of Solids and Surfaces *
- Catalytic Materials and Heterogeneous Catalysis *
- Methods of Synthesis and Synthetic Analysis *
- Organometallic Chemistry and Homogeneous Catalysis *
- Asymmetric Synthesis *
- Theoretical Methods for Determining Electronic and Molecular Structure *
- Computational Modelling in Catalysis and Materials *
- Sustainable Chemistry: a Catalytic Approach
- Nanostructured Polymeric Materials
- Supramolecular Chemistry
- Structural Determination
- Organic Synthesis
- Chemical Kinetics
- Organometallic Compound
- Coordination Compounds
After checking the candidate’s transcript, the body responsible for admission can decide that the student must attend and satisfactorily complete some of the subjects that are programmed as bridging courses.
An official university bachelor's or pre-EHEA degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Pharmacy, Biology, Chemical Engineering, or a related field.
A part from the compulsory documentarion to pre-enrole to the programme, students must do submit the following documents: documentación adicional:
- Proof of knowledge of English
- Letter of motivation for the master's degree
Pre-enrolled students will be selected according to the following criteria:
- Academic record: up to 50 points
- Suitability of the students' first degree: up to 20 points
- Curriculum vitae: up to 10 points
- Competence in English (minimum level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference): up to 20 points (B2, 5 points; C1, 10 points; C2, 20 points).
This school offers programs in:
Last updated May 20, 2016