The international Master’s in Civil Engineering is a graduate programme (Laurea Magistrale) which aims at educating professionals with the necessary in-depth scientific and technical knowledge in the field of civil engineering.
Masters 2016/2017 in Ravenna Italy. The international Master’s in Civil Engineering is a graduate programme (Laurea Magistrale) which aims at educating professionals with the necessary in-depth scientific and technical knowledge in the field of civil engineering.
The programme is intended to provide students with firm technical bases while nurturing decision-making and leadership potential. It prepares graduates to practice their profession at an advanced level and with a unique exposure to an international environment to better understand global issues of civil engineering.
About the programme: Civil engineering
All courses and activities are given in English. The master’s duration is two years (4 semesters). The core modules, common for all students, aim at consolidating fundamentals and improving modelling capabilities in the classical areas of Civil Engineering such as structural mechanics and engineering, hydraulics and hydrology, soil mechanics, road design and transportation.
In the second year, students choose a curriculum amongst:
• Infrastructure design in river basins (Bologna)
• Structural engineering (Bologna)
• Off-shore engineering (Ravenna).
These will allow students to become skilled in civil-engineering project-management, in design and analysis of civil-engineering structures and infrastructures, providing a comprehensive know how on civil engineering materials, technologies and processes. A Faculty commission will help students selecting the courses to build their own curriculum.
In order to obtain the Master Degree (Laurea Magistrale), students must successfully complete all the courses and discuss a final dissertation, for a minimum of 120 Credits (ECTS).
The courses will be organized with in-class teaching activities, practice, design and laboratory activities. The final exam consists in the public discussion of a dissertation (the master thesis).
Even more international
Thanks to Dual Degree agreements, students can obtain two qualifications in two years. The partners are Columbia University (New York, USA); University of Miami (Florida, USA); Université de Liège (Belgium).
Furthermore, international agreements allow students to spend part of their studies abroad (for exams, research, or internships).
About the curriculum: Infrastructure design in river basins
The curriculum “Infrastructure Design in River Basins” focuses on the management of water resources and river basins in a human-impacted environment through:
• the analysis of the hydrological, geological, geomorphological and socio-economical behavior of the catchment area;
• the monitoring, understanding and management of surface water and ground water resources, keeping into consideration the impact and feedbacks of human interventions on these systems;
• the design and management of water systems and hydraulic structures, their characteristics and functioning in relation to other civil engineering infrastructures (such as transportation systems).
Students will become able to make appropriate and critical use of methods, techniques and tools necessary for planning the integrated management of water resources and water systems in river basins, for designing engineering structures and infrastructures (aimed at water supply, drainage and defense from water-related risks), together with the accompanying maintenance and operational control practices.
Graduates may set to work as advisors, designers or project leaders and take up careers with consultancies, contractors, water utilities, water boards or regulatory bodies, relief agencies and international organisations.
About the curriculum: Structural Engineering
Mission: to provide a comprehensive education and training on structural systems using a holistic approach in which the roles of materials, mechanics, analysis and design are emphasized.
• to apply fundamental principles and standards within the Civil engineering fields
• to provide a strong technical education and broad multi-disciplinary skills to embark on successful professional careers in public enterprises, industry or academia
• to understand the ethical issues pertaining to engineering, and develop appropriate communication and collaboration skills essential for professional practice
• ability to identify, formulate, and solve Civil engineering problems
• ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
• ability to use modern engineering techniques and computing tools necessary for the engineering practice
• ability to communicate effectively with written, oral, and visual means and to function in multi-disciplinary teams
About the curriculum: Off-shore Engineering
The programme, entirely delivered in English, is offered thanks to the support of companies in the Ravenna Off-Shore District and of Fondazione Flaminia.
The courses will delve into the themes of design, construction and management of Off-shore and maritime structures, starting from the action of the sea on constructions, and addressing fabrication techniques and structures assembling.
The first year of the programme will be delivered in Bologna, while the second year will be offered in Ravenna.
Thanks to an agreement between Confindustria and the University of Bologna, students attending the programme will be offered the possibility of carrying out an internship and to develop a Master’s thesis in the companies operating in Ravenna.
Read the Call for Applications on the website (Prospective students>How to apply) for information on deadlines, registration rules and scholarship opportunities.
A first cycle title (“bachelor”/Laurea Triennale) and a B2 level English proficiency are required.