The cornerstones of this programme are mechanical design and energy conversion. The former starts with an idea that is shaped in a graphical design and results in a finished product through choice of materials, simulation and production technique. Energy conversion is aimed at all aspects of energy efficiency in this process and ranges in practice from electrical controls and automation to thermal power plants, combustion engines, climatisation, etc.
Masters in Electronics in Leuven in Belgium. The cornerstones of this programme are mechanical design and energy conversion. The former starts with an idea that is shaped in a graphical design and results in a finished product through choice of materials, simulation and production technique. Energy conversion is aimed at all aspects of energy efficiency in this process and ranges in practice from electrical controls and automation to thermal power plants, combustion engines, climatisation, etc.
Intelligent Manufacturing option
The issues covered in this option include the latest production techniques; the way production systems operate; and the intrinsic relationship between production and other business processes, especially the design process. At the core of this option are the possibilities that computer-based systems offer in this context. Moreover, you learn to factor in the tension between technology, economics, and the environment and ergonomics.
Intelligent Mechanics option
The option Intelligent Mechanics relates to designing, developing and optimising automated mechanical machines. Based on a strong background in electricity and mechanics, you delve more deeply into aspects like advanced design methods, electronic operations, controls, measures and drives, data communication and visualisation methods.
Intelligent Mobility option
Intelligent Mobility deals with the sustainable application of smart solutions. Its application area is very broad, but examples include: fitting electric or hybrid cars with intelligent recharging systems and designing vehicles that can warn each other about accidents or traffic jams. Intelligent Mobility also has to do with choosing materials or production methods that have the smallest ecological impact possible, and optimally syncing transportation systems to one another.
This is an initial master's programme and can be followed on a full-time or part-time basis.
Add an in-company or project-based learning experience to your master's programme
You can augment your master's programme with the Postgraduate Programme Innovation and Entrepreneurship. This programme is made up by a multifaceted learning experience in and with a company, with an innovative engineering challenge as the central assignment. It is carried out in a team setting, has a distinct international dimension, and usually requires a multidisciplinary approach. Entrepreneurs and students alike are encouraged to innovate, transfer knowledge and grow. It is a unique cross-fertilisation between company and classroom.
Are you a future industrial engineer?
Are you a doer and are you fascinated by how and why things are done? Then you must be a future industrial engineer!
- You enjoy looking into how to implement new ideas and improve old ones;
- You prepare abstract designs for implementation in a business environment;
- You like to link theory to practice;
- You aim for a position of responsibility that allows you to apply your knowledge to concrete challenges in the day-to-day workings of a company;
- You are eager to develop excellent communication and management skills.
The Master of Industrial Sciences in Electromechanical Engineering is capable of:
selecting, formulating, analyzing and answering appropriately a research question of his own choice based on a theoretical or practical problem in his area of technology while taking into consideration the paradigms and making use of appropriate research methodology.
achieving maximum efficiency from products and machinery through computer-aided engineering in areas of dimension and control, materials design, kinematic, dynamic and thermal behaviour.
analyzing and structuring problems of production control at the level of computer integrated manufacturing (CIM) and designing and implementing controls for installations.
managing technology and communicating efficiently the results of his own work, study and research.
continuing the process of self-education as well as coaching others in their development as individuals and professionals.
integrating relevant research, work and/or study experiences acquired in other environments either at home or abroad.
functioning and cooperating in multidisciplinary and international teams through project work and through an exchange of views and opinions.
recognizing and taking into consideration the ethical, economic, ecological and aesthetic aspects and implications of his actions.
Diversity and an open mind are vital elements in the international learning and work environment at the Group T campus. The student population, staff, and guests come from all corners of the world, turning our campus into a true intercultural nexus for bachelor- and graduate-level education, university-industry collaboration, innovation and professional development.
Advantages for international students
- All of our undergraduate and graduate degree programmes are offered in English. English is ubiquitous both inside and outside the classroom. If you've mastered English, you'll feel right at home.
- Admission to our programmes is not based on an entrance exam. Anyone with the necessary background can apply.
- An engineering degree from KU Leuven's Group T campus is a stepping stone to universities and businesses worldwide. Our international network ensures that your degree is recognised by educational institutes and companies in Europe and across the globe.
- Leuven is one of Europe's oldest university towns and is located in the heart of Western Europe - just 20 minutes from Brussels, and within easy reach of Paris, Amsterdam, and London.
- Tuition fees are markedly lower than those of comparable universities in the US or the UK. Also, Leuven is a mid-sized university town, so cost-of-living expenses tend to be lower than those of other university towns.
- The International Office at KU Leuven, Group T Campus has years of experience in welcoming international students from universities worldwide.