Apply on 14 December 2015 - 27 January 2016
- Coordinating School: School of Education
- Duration: two academic years
- Programme period: autumn semester 2016 - spring semester 2018
- Extent: 120 credits/ECTS credits
The programme aims to enhance the development of expertise in the field of teaching and learning, and is designed for formally qualified teachers interested in expanding and deepening their professional competencies. The programme focuses on various aspects of education including societal and global conditions for learning and education, curriculum studies, evaluation and quality of education, leadership, and current research. Students are provided with insight and competencies to implement the best elements of the renowned Finnish school system in various contexts. They will acquire an extensive understanding of relations between learning, teaching and curriculum, and competencies to develop individual and collegial expertise in school community.
The School of Education is a research and learning community with top-quality societal and cultural expertise, dedicated to exploring and analysing changes in education and society. Research at the School is focused on the changes and transformation processes taking place in society and in educational environments, both in national and international contexts, and on the active role of education in this change. The results from research, projects and development activities influence society and qualities of education on all educational levels.
The programme draws from its strong connection to up-to-date research and the Finnish school system, as well as the wide range of professional expertise and experience of the teachers and the organising unit. Those graduating from the programme will have the knowledge and competencies to develop innovative educational practices, curricula and schools as expert teachers, mentors or organisers of learning.
Eligibility criteria to the Master's Degree Programme in Teacher Education consist of two parts: the University of Tampere general eligibility criteria and the programme-specific eligibility criteria. The programme-specific criteria specify and/or supplement the general criteria. Applicants must meet both in order to be considered eligible.
To be eligible to apply for a Master's programme at UTA, an applicant must have
- a completed university level Bachelor's degree or equivalent in the field of the desired programme or in a closely related subject AND
- fluency in English sufficiently advanced for academic studies.
The Bachelor's degree or equivalent must be completed by the time the programme begins. If the degree is not completed by the end of the application period, an applicant can be accepted to the programme on the condition that s/he sends an officially authenticated copy of the degree certificate to the School office by 29 July 2016. If the certificate is not issued in English, Finnish or Swedish, an officially confirmed, complete and precise translation into one of these languages must be included. The degree certificate must reach the School office by the deadline. A successful applicant will, in this case, first receive a notification on conditional acceptance and later an official letter of acceptance once the degree certificate has reached the School office.
Programme-specific eligibility criteria:
To be eligible to apply to the Master’s Degree Programme in Teacher Education, an applicant must have:
- a Bachelor's or higher university degree from a university or a university of applied sciences (no specific field required), AND
- a formal teaching qualification (certified teacher) in the country where the Bachelor’s degree certificate was issued.
- Applicants must send an official certificate or a description of the content of their formal teaching qualification, and provide a link to a website where this information can be verified (university, ministry, etc.)
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 12, 2015